to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Claiming UC without a bank account

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1966

We have now been told via DWP Partnership that it is possible to make a UC claim without having a bank account.

The online claim form has been amended to give claimants this option:-

‘I don’t have any kind of bank account’ - with a number to call - 0345 600 4272 - if the claimant cannot obtain an account.

The telephone number is the normal call centre number – this is what we have been told will happen when the claimant calls:

‘A claim can be submitted without the claimant having an account.

The Service Centre will advise the claimant that they will need an account (Basic Bank account, Credit Unions etc) of some sort to have their UC paid in to. They will tell the claimant about various accounts available and stress the importance of having an account.

If needed, they will book an appointment with a Work Coach who should also be assisting the claimant with opening an account (POCA if required, while an account is being opened)

The claimant can use 123456 for the sort code and 00000000 for the account number to make a claim to UC’

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

UC claim will not accept 123456 as sort code, insists on a valid sort code. Tried to ring helpline, but client had to leave after 36 mins on hold so no idea what they would have said.

Does anyone know of a way round the requirement for a valid sort code?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Only way round it I have found is to put in a valid sort code and 00000000 account number and give the bank name as ‘UC dummy account’

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

Thanks Billy. I’ll have to try that.

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 111

The FCA guidance states that if the client is unable to provide the documents bank request, claimant can ask that the bank considers the following documents:

•if you are claiming benefit, an entitlement letter or identity confirmation issued by the government or a local authority (example: Gov Verify. Barclays and Lloyds assist with this)
•a letter from a care home manager or warden of sheltered accommodation or a refuge
•a letter from the warden of a homeless shelter
•a letter from a probation officer or a hostel manager
•a letter from a prison governor
•if you are a traveller, a letter from the local authority that verifies your address
•if you are an international student, a passport or European Economic Area National Identity Card and letter of acceptance or of introduction from a body on the Department for Education list, or
•if you are an asylum seeker, an application registration card

A bank does not have to accept these alternative forms of ID, but if it will not accept one, the client should ask it to explain why. They can complain to the bank if they are not happy with the way it deals with this.

Refugees/ EU Nationals/ Immigrants
Since 2014, a claimant may be disqualified from opening an account if they are in the UK and need leave to enter or remain and don’t have leave to be here. This could be because claimant:
•never had leave to enter or remain
•had leave but stayed after it expired or was revoked
•are an European Economic Area (EEA) national subject to deportation action who has exhausted all rights of appeal

If the above do not apply to the client, they can use the Biometric Residence Permit (the leave to remain card) to open a bank account (BRP/Homeoffice Guidance)

Hopefully it helps somewhat…

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 319

Income Max - 24 July 2018 10:48 AM

UC claim will not accept 123456 as sort code, insists on a valid sort code. Tried to ring helpline, but client had to leave after 36 mins on hold so no idea what they would have said.

Does anyone know of a way round the requirement for a valid sort code?

Ive just done this and it worked - just like you I got fed up of waiting to get through UC (who only set up an interview with JC anyway. I tried a valid sort code and 8 zeros but it didn’t work. Nightmare, and is so frustrating as people are losing out on money. My client can open a bank account so has gone to do this now. I did have a SIL at JC tell me off for using this work around (and I just told her that I would carry on as due to backdating rules people would lose out financially, and there is no requirement to have a bank account to make a claim).