Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Polish having to prove identity

Lauren
forum member

Royal British Legion

Send message

Total Posts: 22

Hello all
I am after some help regarding a polish client who is tryin claim ESA. DWP seem to have accepted that she can claim as she has been fully dependant on her Children (who all work here) however they are now asking for proof that she is in fact their Mother. The problem is that her Daughter’s Birth Certificate is in Poland and she is unable to travel there currently due to ill health (has proof of this), does anyone know of another way of proving they are Mother and Daughter?
Any thoughts appreciated!

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

A statutory declaration would be appropriate.

Lauren
forum member

Royal British Legion

Send message

Total Posts: 22

Thanks Ruth

Scarcab
forum member

Scarborough Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 31

If any of cl kids have polish marriage certificate it should have a name of mother; they can also try the Church. Most Poles are catholics and if they have Polish parish in the area they may get the baptism or confirmation certificate or something else pretty quickly via priest which will also confirm both parents names.

Mark of Carnage
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Salford City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 44

I’ve come across this problem before over whether 2 brothers really were brothers for RTR and judge raised eyebrow at idea of a statutory declaration. I’m not sure they prove anything other than that you have paid for a statutory declaration. If possible perhaps try to back this up with a letter from someone who knows the family like a priest or some other official from where from in Poland. At hearing (if you dare!) could always offer to swear on bible or similar too…