to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

add. elements due, to do’s, prevention of duplication of payments etc

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Another example of system design issues / lack of UC staff understanding.

client naturally migrated from ESA to UC Nov 17. Everything possible has ‘gone wrong’ with the claim / award!

DLA has been re-awarded by tribunal IRO child. Aside from arrears of CP on ESA and DCP on CTC due for period before UC - application for revision posted to UC journal (with full ref. to regs and DLA award notice uploaded).

For some unknown reason this is being dealt with by Work Coach instead of Case Manager. Multiple journal entries getting nowhere. To be fair to the WC they do admit this is not their role / expertise (so why isnt CM dealing).

I just spoken to CM and a subsequent response posted to journal by CM. Apparently client should have notified child’s disability as a ‘to do’. Except when we tried it there is no ‘to do’ for reporting a change in a child’s circumstances (only claimant) - the ‘to do’ states if the COC isn’t covered here please make an entry on the journal (err that’s what we did!).

Because DLA is back in award client has also re-claimed CA which has just been awarded. So ask CM about ensuring ‘prevention of duplication of payment’ action is taken between UC and CA - stunned silence. Further post to journal to explain what this is and request UC ensure there is no duplicate payment / overpayment.

Do others have experience of ‘prevention of duplication’ under UC - is it working well or leading to overpayments as other part of DWP do not communicate with UC? I know there are issues with UC and ‘new style’ ESA/JSA duplication but what about CA, IIDB etc?

Now we are 9 months+ into UCFS and given the delays with appeal we are just starting to see these issues arising following successful tribunals!

[ Edited: 13 Sep 2018 at 11:55 am by Peter Turville ]
Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

No experience about the preventing duplication issue - but for future reference you can report a child’s DLA award as a change of circs under “Who lives with you”.

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

Income Max - 13 September 2018 01:01 PM

No experience about the preventing duplication issue - but for future reference you can report a child’s DLA award as a change of circs under “Who lives with you”.

That’s useful to know - although I couldn’t find that within that ‘to do’ - but then I wasn’t looking for it. Where is the logic in having to report an award of DLA within a to do that is primarily about household composition and reporting if someone joins / leaves the household? It would seem more appropriate to have a separate ‘to do’ where you can report a COC regarding a child.

How does the DWP expect claimant’s to work their way through this (rhetorical question)?

Daphne - perhaps it would be helpful if DWP provided a dummy UC account where advisers can familiarise themselves with these details without having to access a real clients account.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

Peter Turville - 13 September 2018 01:21 PM

Daphne - perhaps it would be helpful if DWP provided a dummy UC account where advisers can familiarise themselves with these details without having to access a real clients account.

Hi Peter - we have asked them for this before without success but I can keep trying. What I’ve done is gone on and played at making a claim myself and just not gone as far as clicking the submit button at the end which is helpful.

There are also quite a few videos from the DWP on youtube under ‘UC in action’ which do at least give you an idea of what it all looks like - the one with a general overview is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgJU8Y_bQg&t=6s - there’s a section in here showing how you report a change in circumstances - there’s a special tab for it under the ‘Home’ section - see screenshot attached.

Image Attachments

Screen_Shot_2018-09-13_at_15.06_.25_.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

Its just the pressure / frustration of having to ‘learn on the job’ during an interview with a client on their account on how to find something or how to do a specific action or find a ‘work around’ that one hasn’t had to deal with before. I’m sure in two years time ..... if I have retained my sanity etc!

All because CM states that if the claimant doesn’t report through a ‘to do’ it won’t generate a ‘work action’ so they won’t do anything - even though we had posted an application for revision quoting all of the relevant legislation and ‘up loading’ relevant docs.

As far as I can see there is no legislation that requires a claimant to report particular types of COC via a specific ‘to do’ rather than the journal. To do’s are just an administrative convenience for DWP. Even if there were such a requirement in this case an application for revision was the appropriate legal process anyway and there is no ‘to do’ for making a revision (or MR) application. So the claimants legal right to apply for a revision is frustrated by the administrative process and lack of understanding of what a revision request is by the CM.