to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

UCFSA - couple both on legacy benefits move in together

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 272

Client on ESA, partner now moved in with children (on CA/WTC and for reasons not yet clear no CTC).  Client told DWP and has been sent ESA3. We are in full service area

Assume she can join his ESA claim as a couple without a problem

If she is just on WTC then she could still claim CTC and assume he could join Tax Credit claim as partner in which case no need to claim UC yet? 

or I may be wrong and they have to claim UC

Answers on a postcard please

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1020

MaggieB - 11 April 2018 01:49 PM

Client on ESA, partner now moved in with children (on CA/WTC and for reasons not yet clear no CTC).  Client told DWP and has been sent ESA3. We are in full service area

Assume she can join his ESA claim as a couple without a problem

If she is just on WTC then she could still claim CTC and assume he could join Tax Credit claim as partner in which case no need to claim UC yet? 

or I may be wrong and they have to claim UC

Answers on a postcard please

‘If she is just on WTC then she could still claim CTC and assume he could join Tax Credit claim as partner in which case no need to claim UC yet?’

Helen, the Tax credits are the issue i.e. partner was on tax credits as a single claimant, then moves in with your client and they become a couple, ending her claim and necessitating a new claim for TC’s as a couple, pre becoming a UCFS area see CPAG page 188 for CTC people included in claim and page 205 for WTC equivalent. 

But as we are a UCFS area that would mean a UC claim. Assuming there are no exceptions e.g. 3 kids.