to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Customers with complex needs - Somerset UC Ambassadors meeting July 2017

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1017

An attached DWP presentation from the badlands of Somerset.

File Attachments

clive
forum member

Newcastle Council Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 122

This is potentially interesting. Andy, On the surface, “Making and maintaining claims for those who will never successfully interact online” slide 3 -  seems to indicate a plan to support them. I cannot see exactly the method outlined. Would it be the ‘standard approach’ of local support from local authority to help such people make the online claims e.g. in libraries - or it is something else - something much more comprehensive???

Plus are the plans in the last slide for GB or Somerset?

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1017

clive - 22 March 2018 04:35 PM

This is potentially interesting. Andy, On the surface, “Making and maintaining claims for those who will never successfully interact online” slide 3 -  seems to indicate a plan to support them. I cannot see exactly the method outlined. Would it be the ‘standard approach’ of local support from local authority to help such people make the online claims e.g. in libraries - or it is something else - something much more comprehensive???

Plus are the plans in the last slide for GB or Somerset?

Clive for DWP purposes we are in a completely different region from Somerset (Cornwall and Devon), so different DWP partnership managers with possibly different approaches etc. Some areas of Somerset have had UCFS e.g. Sedgemoor for nearly a couple of years.

Our source in Somerset told us that the Powerpoint “is probably a generic (but adapted) PowerPoint as I can’t see the content e.g. complex needs definition etc as being area specific”.

I’m not aware of any plans or methods for ‘making and maintaining claims for those who will never successfully interact on line’ slide 3 from the DWP nationally or locally. Other than telling people to go to local advice agencies.

Attended a DCC meeting in which the corporate appointee wing e.g. Adults with learning disabilities, were present, don’t think they got the answers they were hoping for regarding the above. 

I’ll email you a copy of our local DWP ‘complex needs’ because it has internal phone numbers, having used it, its not the answer to the above.

As far as local authorities are concerned in Dorset there is funding for roughly 12 months to CA to help people claim UC including outreach in Libraries.