Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Full time Student/Lone Parent & IS

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 318

Hi all,

Can someone please tell me if a full time student doing a full time Nursing & Midwifery Degree is still entitled to IS.?

Client is a lone parent and has a dependant aged 5, currently in receipt of IS.  She ‘may’ be entitled to a full bursary, maintenance allowance, child care allowance, child allowance and parental learning allowance.

I am reading page 602 CPAG book (Full time students entitled to IS) and it appears that she would still be entitled to IS, as her child is under 7 years old.  Does this mean she would also be entitled to full HB & CTB?? Surely not with bursary etc??

Is this correct or am i reading it wrong???

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Andyp4 - 08 June 2011 10:53 AM

Have a look at CPAG pages 621 - 630 e.g. page 624 refers to NHS bursaries (counted as income for IS).

Thank you

Yes I have read these parts too, but it all appears to be contradictive!? It just refers you to one page after another, one minute I think I have got it and then I read something else and I am…well very confused!!!

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

Technically still entitled to IS but Andy’s right the bursary counts as income and is usually high enough to mean there is no income support - she can still get child tax credit and housing and council tax benefit but the amount of the HB/CTB will depend on how much the bursary is etc.

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Nicky - 08 June 2011 11:15 AM

Technically still entitled to IS but Andy’s right the bursary counts as income and is usually high enough to mean there is no income support - she can still get child tax credit and housing and council tax benefit but the amount of the HB/CTB will depend on how much the bursary is etc.

Ah bless you!!

Thank you Nicky that’s what I needed to be confirmed.

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

Actually - with regard to CTB she should be exempt from paying council tax as a full time student - i always forget that bit! ;)

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Nicky - 08 June 2011 01:50 PM

Actually - with regard to CTB she should be exempt from paying council tax as a full time student - i always forget that bit! ;)

Thanks, no worries…thats something i did know!! ;oP