× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Todays Daily Express

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I have just seen the headline in today’s Daily Express regarding benefit scroungers and I wondered if anyone had any comments….....

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

Total rubbish, this article is a disgrace.
What they fail to mention is that the new ESA medical is almost impossible to pass.
The assessors are inadequate and not fit for purpose (Can I say that?)

Matthew Finch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer, Leicester City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Not surprising for the Express and when you consider that the Secretary of State is saying that the high numbers of people failing the test for ESA or abandoning their claims shows that they really are fit for work, you can see what people are up against.

I’ve not read the article in full (don’t think I could bring myself to buy the express in public! what if some one I know sees me?). Have they managed to get something about Princess Diana in it?

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Yes, just commented about this on another thread. Astounding, even for the Express, to use such pejorative and misleading words, so I hope that Disability Benefits Consortium will be writing a complaint as they did with the Mail recently on their DLA coverage.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

I think you seem to have got confused somewhere.

A newspaper is a regularly scheduled publication containing news of current events, informative articles, diverse features and advertising.                                                                                               

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper

3 out of 4 does not maketh a Newspaper.

PhilH
forum member

Durham County Council, Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Looking for something else but came acorss this thread.

NAWRA issued an excellent press release about this. Don’t think it got picked up widely, but it helps with creating a wider network of people who will respond to this reactionnary crap, and provides ammo for those who choose to correct these things.

I’ve attached it.

File Attachments