Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA - the “old rules” on appealing

Lee42
forum member

Caseworker, Law Centre(NI)

Send message

Total Posts: 24

Hi all,

I’m dealing with some appeals that are still under the old rules for appealing ESA, when Reg 6 still existed and there was no Reg 147A. There’s something I’ve got myself confused about about although I know it was discussed here at the time!

If client fails WCA and appeals, the assessment phase is extended under Reg 6 until the appeal is determined. If the client wins appeal, how does the client get either the work related component or support component backdated to date of original disallowance rather than date of tribunal decision. I’ve been told that’s what happens, but with Reg 6 extending the assessment phase and a condition of entitlement to either component is that the assessment phase is over, I’m just not sure of the legal basis for it.

Also, was it any different if the “claim” under Reg 3(j) of the C&P Regs is treated as starting a new assessment phase?

If anyone can direct to me a previous thread on this or give me the answer themselves, I’d be very grateful.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

The mechanism is reg (7)(38) of the D&A Regs.  The answer to your second question is no.