× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Joanna Lumley joins legal aid campaign

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

I bet Ken Clarke is shaking in his boots now that Ms Lumley has joined the battle…....

Joanna Lumley will today launched [sic] a new campaign against the Government, this time calling for a rethink over legal aid cuts. The actress, who famously won better rights for Gurkhas to settle in the UK, has joined lawyers across the country to attack proposals to slash funds for those fighting civil court cases.

Miss Lumley, who publicly humiliated the then immigration minister Phil Woolas during the Gurkha campaign under the last Labour Government, is backing the “Sound Off For Justice” campaign to be launched by the Law Society today.

She said: “Everyone has a right to be heard. I support Sound Off For Justice as I believe justice is only just if it is available to everyone. Without Legal Aid, cases like the Gurkha Justice Campaign, which I was privileged enough to be involved with, could never have been fought, let alone won.”

Joanna Lumley joins legal aid campaign

Sound off for Justice

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

“I bet Ken Clarke is shaking in his boots now that Ms Lumley has joined the battle…....”

With Ghurkas and their kukris at her disposal it would be a reasonable assumption

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

The Law Society has appointed a PR company called Unity to “to devise an integrated public awareness campaign to challenge the Government’s proposed changes to Legal Aid”

Law Society appoints Unity to challenge changes to Legal Aid

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

The Telegraph reports that three black taxis have been transformed into mobile “sound-off” booths equipped with iPads and iPhones so that Londoners can voice their opinions about the Government’s plans to cut Legal Aid.

Created by Sound Off For Justice to help raise awareness, propose alternative reforms and give Londoners a chance to have their say, the taxis will tour the capital for five days from Monday.

Each cab will be equipped with both an internet capable Apple 3G iPad and iPhone 4, so supporters can sign the campaign’s online petition or join its voicemail protest.

London cabbies ‘sound off’ about Legal Aid cuts