to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC Live helpline giving out incorrect advice re UC full service

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Just to alert others in full service UC.
Case today where a client has moved to a full service LA so no new HB claim can be made. He is on ESA.
Has been advised to claim UC but he tel UC helpline (live) for advice and they told him incorrectly that he can stay on ESA and claim HB. I tel them and they gave same misadvice.
Just concerned that people will bounce around the system until they eventually do claim UC having missed out on weeks of benefit and having accrued rent arrears.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

We are full service, and have had a client report exactly the same wrong advice.

Also, a client was told he could not claim UC because he is sick, needs to claim ESA instead.

UC staff seem to have some misconceptions about the universality of this universal benefit?

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

My client loses out because he has PIP and will lose SDP, which also fuelled his unwillingness to accept my advice.  But he loses more if he doesn’t claim for his rent. 
Apparently UC Live service staff have not all had their ‘full service’ training yet so do not know the rules. 
And the two ‘services’ do not talk to each other and will not on request.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

SarahJBatty - 15 December 2016 06:12 PM

Just concerned that people will bounce around the system until they eventually do claim UC having missed out on weeks of benefit and having accrued rent arrears.

That seems to describe the general experience of full service at the moment.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

I’ve passed that back to the UC team