Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Pension Credit & missing SDP

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 318

Hi all,

I recently see a client who has been receiving HR care DLA since 01/08/2009, she also receives PC.  Client lives alone and has no one caring for her.

It appears from her award letters that she is missing an SDP.  The Pension Service are aware that the client is receiving DLA as this is recorded on her PC award letter.  I am going to write to the PS to advise them that an SDP is missing. 

Could we request the SDP be backdated from 01/08/2009 as it appears a clerical error has been made? 

Thanks

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Cookie - 04 April 2011 09:00 AM

Hi all,

I recently see a client who has been receiving HR care DLA since 01/08/2009, she also receives PC.  Client lives alone and has no one caring for her.

It appears from her award letters that she is missing an SDP.  The Pension Service are aware that the client is receiving DLA as this is recorded on her PC award letter.  I am going to write to the PS to advise them that an SDP is missing. 

Could we request the SDP be backdated from 01/08/2009 as it appears a clerical error has been made? 

Thanks

Sorry me again…

What i want to know is there a a maximum number of weeks that an SDP can be backdated?

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

From recollection, I *think* equivalent provisions apply as in HB/CTB.  If that is correct, I can see two avenues:

1)  as DLA is a “relevant benefit”, the original award must take effect from the effective date of the DLA award; and/or in any case
2)  the failure to award the SDP is an official error and, as such, can be revised anytime.

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Kevin,

Thats great news and was what i was hoping to hear. 

Thank you!

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Certain benefits can only be backdated so far however it is not a benefit we are talking about but an actual premium.
The premium should be backdated in full as i have a client in the same boat who had a premium backdated to 2009, however this client was paid due to official error. Good luck

CorbyCAB
forum member

Corby CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Same situation here with a previous client.

Full backdate of missing SDP was paid without too much fuss (almost 2 year’s worth) in fairly short order.

Pete Jayes
Older Persons Outreach Worker/Home Visitor.