Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Claiming contribution-based ESA as well as UC: What is the point? 

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

I have a client who seems to be entitled to contribution-based ESA as well as UC (her ESA ended a number of years ago when she became entitled to Widowed Parent’s Allowance).  However, I am wondering what the value is given the total income would remain the same:
(1) She may receive either WR component or Support component right from the start (don’t know which she was in before)
(2) If her income were to increase so as to take her off means-tested benefits she would still be entitled to contribution-based ESA

Obvioiusly it is worth while making a claim on that basis alone but are there other reasons for doing this? 

Ruth

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

would a claim go anywhere as they would have nil entitlement?

if not and they had a claim open then access to help with health costs like prescriptions, dental etc?  access to local welfare fund scheme? (obviously we have a different scheme here so ive no idea if that would be a benefit.

Barbara Knight
forum member

Leorn Welfare Rights Training Services, Derby

Send message

Total Posts: 78

Hi, Contribution based ESA would give her National Insurance Credits, which has become more important with the new state pension.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

I don’t know much about the new state pension yet, Barbara, but page 958 of CPAG says that Universal Credit credits can help meet the contribution conditions for state pensions. Would there be any difference between that and the credit for contribution-based ESA?  Ruth

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

I’m worried about the issues raised in this thread: Limited capability for work assessment period under UC?

I’m not sure I have this right, but for someone with a sicknote:

- when claiming c-ESA you are treated as having LCW pending assessment;

- when claiming UC alone, you may or may not have all-work requirements after 14 days and up to being assessed, at a DM’s discretion;

- when claiming c-ESA topped up with UC ... I think you are protected and are treated as having LCW..?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

That’s the way I understand it Jon