Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Awaiting FTT Personal Independence Payment Tribunal Date- client has sadly passed away

joannea
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Clwyd Alyn Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hello
I am hoping someone could give me any advice around the above situation, as I have not dealt with this situation before.
The daughter wishes to continue with the appeal, and I am noted with the Tribunal Service as the representative Could anyone advise me of any rules/processes around this please? My client has left no estate, and was in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit only.

many thanks in advance

[ Edited: 24 Aug 2016 at 02:00 pm by joannea ]
forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I’ve done a few posthumous appeals over the years and I’ve never had a problem with TS over next of kin continuing with the appeal. I seem to recall we’ve needed to provide copy of grant of probate in the past but I also seem to recall occasions where we’ve not been asked to provide anything other than next of kin’s details.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

If there is no appointee the appeal will be deemed to be abated by the tribunal and the relative or friend simply applies to the dwp to be appointed to carry on the appeal.  It’s a simple formality.  Someone should apply for this before the hearingto save time.

joannea
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Clwyd Alyn Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

nevip - 24 August 2016 08:04 PM

If there is no appointee the appeal will be deemed to be abated by the tribunal and the relative or friend simply applies to the dwp to be appointed to carry on the appeal.  It’s a simple formality.  Someone should apply for this before the hearingto save time.

Must say I’ve never experienced it as a simple procedure. Have repeatedly had to explain to DWP staff dealing with appointeeships that it’s a different form; a different reg, and, yes, they can do it and, no, it’s not less urgent because the appellant/claimant has passed away. Have had some which dragged on for months even after all laid out in writing as part of a complaint.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Mike Hughes - 26 August 2016 12:41 PM
nevip - 24 August 2016 08:04 PM

Must say I’ve never experienced it as a simple procedure. Have repeatedly had to explain to DWP staff dealing with appointeeships that it’s a different form; a different reg, and, yes, they can do it and, no, it’s not less urgent because the appellant/claimant has passed away. Have had some which dragged on for months even after all laid out in writing as part of a complaint.

Maybe my experience has just been fortunate.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Mine too. As I say, it just seems to have been accepted with no bother in the ones I have encountered.

Hadn’t come across one for ages mind. Have one currently (RTR appeal that has already been to one hearing and later set aside). Client had excellent case but has unfortunately died following RTA and there doesn’t appear to be a next of kin (so I fear appeal will lapse).