Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP Activity 6 dressing and undressing - are clean clothes relevant?

geep
forum member

WRO, housing management, Notting Hill Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 181

P724 of CPAG (2016/17) says that ‘selecting appropriate clothing’ extends to the clothes being clean. The reference is p104 of the PIP Assessment Guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519147/pip-assessment-guide.pdf

I’ve looked at that section in the guide and can’t find the word ‘clean’. Anyone know if it was there before and has been removed by the DWP? The guidance isn’t legislation, so even if they have removed it, do you think arguing that the clothes need to be clean is a safe bet? The client has depression and doesn’t change his clothes regularly. I’m trying to get descriptor 6(c)(ii).

Jon Shaw
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 98

Hi Geep,

Mea cupla, you are right that the word ‘clean’ isn’t in the most recent version.

I’ think that it is pretty strongly arguable that if a claimant cannot see whether clothes are clean s/he should be awarded descriptor 6(c)(ii), as otherwise s/he would be unable to dress to an acceptable standard. I think you can argue the same in terms of prompting to change clothes when they need washing.

I’m sure you’ve considered this, but an easier argument might be that the client needs prompting to dress and undress most days (particularly if s/he tends to go days and nights without changing any clothes). And if s/he turns up looking freshly pressed to a tribunal there is always this case: http://www.osscsc.gov.uk/Aspx/view.aspx?id=4842

Jon

PS as a final thought, might a particularly harsh tribunal think this raises issues with Reg 7? I am known to wear the same clothes for quite a while between washes at times (perhaps the CPAG staff are all just too polite to comment, as opposed to finding it in any way acceptable…) That could be countered by pointing out that the need existed every day even if a particular item of clothing was OK to put on again, I suppose (the visually impaired person above might be a helpful example to use).

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I’ve had successful first claims for people with VIs like RP without too much difficulty on this specific point. At minimum some assistance is required to organise and put away clean clothes and/or put them in a place they are easily located for the next day but there’s also the issue of not being able to recognise when existing clothes are stained. If you drop food or drink and it hits you then most people would realise, however, if you don’t feel that hit then how would you know. Had at least 3 RP clients with that issue recently.

The thing to remember is it’s about “clothes” and that’s not just everyday clothes. That’s work suits; interview clothes; protective gear; changes of clothes when coming out of the rain; or home in the evening and so on.