to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Job Grant

jeanette
forum member

Welfare rights - Newcastle City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 47

We have been advised that there are no linking rules for breaks during the 26 weeks prior to a job grant payment. I have a client who had 1 days break 3 months ago. This may well be correct but I have searched in vain for the regs / rules / SI’s / DMG covering Job Grants. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in anticipation.

jeanette
forum member

Welfare rights - Newcastle City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 47

Thank you it would appear that they are paid under the same Act as the return to work credits which I can never find rules for either and when I have spoken to their helpline who just advise that they have guidance but that I can’t have it. I have found bits referring to the grant but nothing that allows me to form my own opinion.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

The Employment And Training Act 1973 looks like it could the relevant “employment act”? Anyway, it’s not much use without any regulations. In this thread it was suggested that a formal FOI request for the relevant guidance might be the best you can do.

Edit:
There are some FoI responses for Job Grants already on whatdotheyknow:
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/payment_of_job_grant_and_return
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/job_grant_100

From those we get effectively what’s on directgov:

To qualify, you must have been entitled to a qualifying benefit, or a combination of qualifying benefits, for a continuous period of 26 weeks immediately prior to starting remunerative work of at least 16 hours per week. The work must be expected to last at least five weeks and you must notify Jobcentre Plus within 21 days of moving into work.

Entitlement to Job Grant is calculated automatically and a payment generated to eligible customers as part of the benefit claim closure process.

[…]

Although there are no rights of appeal, a written decision detailing the reasons not to pay should be issued to any customer who formally requests a Job Grant or asks for a reconsideration of a decision not to pay.

[ Edited: 28 Mar 2011 at 06:08 pm by Jon (CANY) ]