to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC and protected rent

AParry
forum member

Merthyr Valleys Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 4

I was wondering if anyone knew if the 52 protected rent period following a bereavement in housing benefit regs is also available with UC?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1965

I think this reduces to 3 months under UC. Will try to find a reference for this.

stevemac
forum member

Horsham CAB, West Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 117

Hi

As Andrew said it has reduced to 3 months - so for couples, where one member dies they need to report the death to the Universal Credit helpline - their standard allowance will continue at the joint claim rate for the remainder of the monthly assessment period in which the death occurred and for the next two monthly assessment periods.

UC regs schedule 4 refers (?)

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3215

It’s reg.37 of the UC Regulations 2013

Run-on after a death

37.  In calculating the maximum amount of an award where any of the following persons has died—

(a)in the case of a joint award, one member of the couple;

(b)a child or qualifying young person for whom a claimant was responsible; or

(c)in the case of a claimant who had regular and substantial caring responsibilities for a severely disabled person, that person,

the award is to continue to be calculated as if the person had not died for the assessment period in which the death occurs and the following two assessment periods.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1965

I can’t find it in Sch 4 or anywhere else. I can find old references in policy papers but I haven’t seen it in the Regs. Anyone?

Cancel that - thanks Paul!