to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Citizenship and the Welfare State

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3217

Simon Duffy in a new report from the Centre for Welfare Reform argues that active support for equal citizenship is the life giving purpose at the root of the welfare state. It’s a short but snappy read with some incisive commentary.

I particularly liked this section: “For example the NHS, while it remains a largely valued and consistent element of the UK welfare system, has been subject to frequent structural reorganisations ever since it was first created. If this hypothesis holds it would suggest that what is perceived as an attack is more akin to leaving important electrical equipment in the hands of young children - they do not mean to break it, but if they are allowed to fiddle with it long enough then they certainly will break it.

Citizenship and the Welfare State

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Does it contain ‘upstream’ thinking Paul?

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

No, seriously…

Those of us who work on the front line of social welfare have got to now engage with questions around what is the purpose of and what are the principles which should underpin the welfare state.  We need to discuss, debate and propose constructive solutions for the future, and not just bewail the mess it is currently in.  The erosion of rights and welfare provision is gathering increasing pace ...

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3217

SarahJBatty - 05 July 2016 03:50 PM

Does it contain ‘upstream’ thinking Paul?

like a salmon Sarah. always uptown top ranking me.

Gimme little bass, make me’wine up m’waist :-)