to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Its always the rent!

hbinfopeter
forum member

Director - HBINFO, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 101

I may be very biased because it is my main interest but it always seems to me to be problems with the rent. From DWP staff not accepting tenancy agreements more than 6 months old (to be fair it took LA’s some time to understand that many private tenancies just roll on for years) to evermore complex rent and service charges schemes. Shared ownership schemes criteria changed this April for instance and the numbers of these will increase dramatically over time….why is that the scanned tenancy agreements get lost so often ??.   

A few very recent representative comments on housing costs from claimants and landlords

“A tip for anyone going on to Universal Credit make sure your tenancy agreement is recent. They wont tell you that when you hand over documents at first meeting at the jobcentre. Its only some weeks later when payment is late/due you will get a letter asking for more info”.

“Landlords complain of a DWP administration, operating at arms-length, which is ill-prepared, making schoolboy errors, and generally impeding and frustrating their attempts at improving communication and performance. DWP staff’s lack of an appreciation of the complexity and importance of the “housing costs” element is becoming more and more apparent”.

“At the end of my 10th week since start of claim. Have received £236 total in that time. Called AGAIN today to ask about housing element and so forth. Told the same as I was told last week - that they would forward the info (presumed forwarded twice already) ‘for consideration’ they call it. Again told they would not/could not make any indication how they work anything out or if anything will be awarded. I’ve not received anything again”.

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

We have had one example of a UC processing centre in the North thinking that a Brighton rent of £320 MUST be monthly….ha ha!

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

andyrichards - 25 May 2016 12:29 PM

We have had one example of a UC processing centre in the North thinking that a Brighton rent of £320 MUST be monthly….ha ha!

i mind getting caught with that before when watching the how to get a council house series.  wont type out my response when i caught on that was weekly.

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

I’ve only been dealing with it hands on for 4 weeks and already I could write a book about UC, housing costs and general rubbishness of situation ...

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

I look forward to seeing it in the bestseller lists Sarah - it could be competing with Patrick’s Strong In triolgy - I’ll be spoilt for choice on my holiday reading ;)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Daphne - 26 May 2016 01:33 PM

I look forward to seeing it in the bestseller lists Sarah - it could be competing with Patrick’s Strong In triolgy - I’ll be spoilt for choice on my holiday reading ;)

Aha. Career plan B. I shall write a book called “general rubbishness of situation”.

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Well ‘general rubbishness of situation’ has to be understatement of the year to describe welfare reform, but I think it makes a fine book title.  SUggestions for other titles in the series ...

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Not a fan of sequels. Toy Story 2 was good. Godfather 2? I’d go for a change of tack and use a Vic Chesnutt song title.

“The gravity of the situation”.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3217

SarahJBatty - 26 May 2016 04:05 PM

Well ‘general rubbishness of situation’ has to be understatement of the year to describe welfare reform, but I think it makes a fine book title.  SUggestions for other titles in the series ...

I’d suggest the Book of Nonsense but Edward Lear got there first…

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 26 May 2016 04:36 PM

I’d suggest the Book of Nonsense but Edward Lear got there first…

There was no need to bring decision makers guidance into it :)

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

the lion, the witch and the wardrobe full of lost sick lines and is10 forms.