to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

13 week waiting period and WTC 4 week run-on

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

OK, so I think I’ve found the answer to this but it must happen reasonably often so would be grateful for some confirmation.

Client stops working 16 hours a week and WTC 4 week run-on applies. I have always thought that although such a client is treated as working for WTC, she is not for IS, so she can put in a claim although she will be turned down as income is too high (ie WTC higher than IS applicable amount without housing costs).

However, she can be treated as entitled to IS for the purposes of the waiting period for mortgage interest because the only reason she doesn’t get it is that her income is too high, and she is a lone parent (IS regs Schedule 4, para 14 (4) and (5A).

I can’t see any reason why this would not apply to the 13 week waiting period, and therefore I am hoping that the 13 weeks starts to run as soon as she makes her IS claim, ie during the 4 week run-on.

There is no link to a period which includes 4.1.09.

So, is she ok - am I right?

Thanks.

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

Thanks Tony. It’s one of those areas where it was worth going back to the regs as the client is making the decision about whether to leave work/reduce her hours.