to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Live service “full service”?

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2914

Yesterday I was talking to someone at a local authority where UC went live in Tranche 1 about a year ago - so far just to the most basic “gateway” client group.  But someone from DWP has told them that the eligibility conditions will be widened to what was described as “full service” in advance of the arrival of the “digital service”.  That sounds like no gateway, but still the Heath Robinson “live service”.

I had thought that the gateway conditions were going to be left as they are and will only fall away as and when the digital service rolls into town.  I understood that the limited functionality and labour-intensive nature of the “live service” made this inevitable.  But perhaps there is going to be an intermediate stage after all?

Anyone have any inside knowledge?

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

Where was this?

As far as I can tell “full service” is just another name for the “digital service”.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2914

Bedford.  Have to say the Council were not at all convinced by what they had been told.  The benefits manager had asked the DWP person when they could expect the digital service to arrive and he said April.  That was on 31 March - she said “what, tomorrow?” and he said “well, maybe not April then”.  That made the Council think the DWP representative had not been very well briefed.

Full service = digital service sounds more plausible to me.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

AFAIK the only services are the digital and the gateway.  I am told that there will not be any gateway widening, to couples, families ERC. outside the North West either.

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 893

Jon Blackwell - 13 April 2016 01:39 PM

Where was this?

As far as I can tell “full service” is just another name for the “digital service”.

I’m with you - ADM10/16 refers to digital service as ‘full service’ at one point although then doesn’t use the term again in the rest of the memo.

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/further-extension-of-universal-credit-digital-service1

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Is this is a misunderstanding around that there is more than 1 type of gateway ?

https://www.lgbp.co.uk/ucpc/ucpc.html

Not an expert on this.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

Not in Bedford - the only areas that can take couples and children in the gateway are the north-west and the six original jobcentres from October 2013- April 2014 - Hammersmith, Bath, Harrogate, Shotton, Rugby and Inverness.