to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Problems getting a home visit for ESA

gcrow
forum member

Macmillan/Welfare benefits advisor - Alnwick CAB, Northumberland

Send message

Total Posts: 25

We are working with a client who strongly feels that attending a WCA at the assessment centre would be detrimental to his mental state but also may not be safe for the public as he struggles with using public transport and cannot cope mentally with large built up areas.

We have contacted the Health Assessment Advisory Service of this and they will only consider a home visit if such a request is supported by medical evidence.  Apart from the attached document I have struggled to find anything which suggests that medical evidence is required.

Despite our clients ongoing mental health issues, he has been assessed as not requiring help from mental health support workers or adult services.  He does not engage with his new GP surgery so obtaining a supporting letter from a medical professional is unlikely to occur.

Other benefit agencies have been happy to come out to see the client (for PIP, HB and CTS) but not for ESA.

Has anyone come across difficulties with getting a home visit for WCA.

File Attachments

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Yes and it’s a problem I fear will increase. especially where people aren’t engaging with their GPs. I had one recently that was only resolved by sheer good fortune.

There’s been a couple of times where GPs have refused to support a HV for want of seeing the patient that has led to benefit being stopped all together. Arguably CHDA are taking too restrictive a line on it; we tried to bring an Equality Act claim against their predecessors in a similar situation a while back. Sadly it fell apart for administrative reasons but it’s still a possibility and pre action correspondence can work wonders at making things happen.

Inbox me should you wish to discuss.

DMG 42265 et seq might come in handy while you battle it out.

gcrow
forum member

Macmillan/Welfare benefits advisor - Alnwick CAB, Northumberland

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Many thanks for the reply.  I will have a good look at DMG

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Mario Dunn from Maximus is coming to the GMWRAG meeting next week.

https://gmwrag.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/agenda-for-the-bolton-gmwrag-meeting-now-available 

If there is a specific question you would like to ask I’m happy to take steps to ensure that happens and the responses are documented in the minutes.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Sorry to piggyback on this, but is there an ATOS policy for PIP assessments and home consultations available anywhere?

They told us today that their policy is not to do home visits where there is a history of drug or alcohol issues.

PIP assessment guide itself says that health and safety implications are a factor when deciding whether to do a visit, but doesn’t say there should be a blanket policy. ATOS website just seems to say it’s a case by case decision.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/449043/pip-assessment-guide.pdf
http://www.atoshealthcare.com/pip/faq_view/Can_I_be_seen_by_a_Health_Professional_in_my_home

edit: to answer my own question: different day, different person at ATOS, different answer. There is no policy at all, it is entirely a case by case decision…

[ Edited: 9 Mar 2016 at 08:18 pm by Jon (CANY) ]