Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

EEA National and Martenity Allowance

Ivij
forum member

Solace Womens' Aid

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hi,

I need some help with this one as dont know where to turn.

I have a woman from an EEA country who came to the Uk with her 3 year old in 2013.  She held a job as a cleaner for a15 months then gave e up her job voluntarily last July 2015 as she was 4 months pregant.  After giving up her job she claimed Income Support but was turned so she claimed JSA from 13/09/15 to 26/11/15 when she failed the habitual Residence test and was also told she has lost her worker status as she has given up her job voluntary.  She then was awarded Maternity allowance of £58.20 per week which runs from 13/09/15 to 11/06/16.  The first payment of her Martenity Allowance was reduced by £623.57 as she owed it to them and had received it as JSA for the period 13/09/15 to 26/11/15.  Upon giving up her job in July 2015, this woman was given temporary accommodation by a local authority but was evicted on the 5th October 2015 for non payment of rent as she could not claim HB.  She has been in our Refuge for 5 weeks now and has been awarded HB, she continues to received Child Tax credit and Child benefit for both children (she had a baby last december).

What i need to know is whether being on martenity allowance contributes/amounts to Worker Status. Will this woman will be eligible for Local Authority housing assistance and HB at the end of her martenity allowance award period in June 2016 if she gets a job.  As she lost her worker status before, does it mean that she will now be considered as a new EEA jobseekers who will not be able to access Housing Benefit. 

If any one can please advise me on the best options for this woman who has a new born baby,  a 4 years old and speak very little English and is homeless.

Thanks in advance.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Just a quick bit of info on the fly - this may be of interest, though I’m not sure whether it helps or not:

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/caselaw/item/retaining-worker-status-after-giving-up-work-or-work-seeking-due-to-pregna