to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Identity verification being eased

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

UKAuthority.com has a story that says that the government is easing some of the identity verification processes for its online services.

Changes are being made in the GOV.UK Verify process to give users more flexibility in how they prove their identity to the government.

The Cabinet Office has indicated that identity providers can check against a wider range of payment cards, less evidence will be required and some identity providers will accept photos of an individual and their passport instead of asking questions about credit history.

The changes about the type and number of documents which have to be produced to help identity seem pretty minimal though, and

There will also be more flexibility around the ‘second step’ of signing in to use a service, with the provision of an app that can generate a security code that is sent to the user’s landline phone. Previously it involved sending an SMS code to a mobile phone, which meant the user had to have a phone and be somewhere with a signal.

So now people, who are increasingly unlikely to have a landline phone, will be able to join in with all the fun of the process.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

Update on the gov.uk ‘Verify’service ... the ‘new way to prove who you are online’, being built by the Government Digital Service…

Verify is currently in public beta and is being tested with users and departments and services, including -

- getting a state pension statement
- applying for universal credit

More @ https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/introducing-govuk-verify/introducing-govuk-verify

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

...And a right pain it is too. It refuses to recognize me (I’ve been attempting to obtain a pension statement) and I’ve had to give up on it.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

1964 - 15 February 2016 12:56 PM

...And a right pain it is too. It refuses to recognize me (I’ve been attempting to obtain a pension statement) and I’ve had to give up on it.

Blimey, been a curious sort, I followed the link and have just used the Post Office to successfully create a Verify account, using my driving license (which I loaded using my mobile phone) and passport details which I entered manually. Had to download an app to the phone and take a selfie but it all worked pretty smoothly for me, which is unusual when technology is involved.

It’s told me that The earliest you can get your State Pension is XX XXXX 2033 when you’ll be 67, your estimate is £175.61 a week

2033 feels like a long way away…..

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

1964 - 15 February 2016 12:56 PM

I failed with Experian, which wanted to know what month I started paying my mortgage (27 years ago).  I succeeded with the Post Office though.

forum member

Send message

OH has just succeeded with the Post Office one so I shall try again. Experion told me I failed to exist. Which was nice.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

1964 - 15 February 2016 02:56 PM

Experion told me I failed to exist. Which was nice.

“Failed to exist” is such a great term - not only do you not exist but that’s actually something which is your own personal failing. Clearly you should be trying harder.

forum member

Send message

I decided existence is futile.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Existerminate, existerminate

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

I stared into Experian and Experian stared back.

:(

forum member

Send message

Past caring- Blinder!!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

I had a go with the Post Office - I like the bit where I had to do the selfie and it confirmed I moved and was therefore a living being!

However, Paul, I am distraught that I retire in the same year as you, have worked all my life but am only going to get the basic £155.65 - you will definitely have to buy me a few pints when we’re pensioners!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I’m 64?

Whatever the answer, I’ll stand you some pints Daphne.