to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

So what descriptor would that be???

CMILKCAB
forum member

Benefits advisor, NHS Project - Castlemilk CAB, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 92

Client on long term DLA low rate mobility and middle rate care.
migration to PIP at SRDL…..NO mobility.
Given 4 points for requiring prompting. DESCRIPTOR 1B

Result of MR just in…...
“I agree you need someone with you to avoid overwhelming psychological distress therefore the choosen descriptor is correct” Decision therefore unchanged.

Would folk not agree with me that the descriptor satisfied is (at a minimum ) 1D?????

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Have a look at CPIP/313/2015

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

neilcoll - 20 January 2016 11:56 AM

Client on long term DLA low rate mobility and middle rate care.
migration to PIP at SRDL…..NO mobility.
Given 4 points for requiring prompting. DESCRIPTOR 1B

Result of MR just in…...
“I agree you need someone with you to avoid overwhelming psychological distress therefore the choosen descriptor is correct” Decision therefore unchanged.

Would folk not agree with me that the descriptor satisfied is (at a minimum ) 1D?????

No

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Thing is, though, I would really question whether someone who experiences ‘overwhelming psychological distress’  when forced to travel outdoors unaccompanied would be capable of safely (reliably, repeatedly and within a reasonable timescale) navigating to their destination.  I know that where someone has a mental illness it’s going to be on a case by case basis as to whether they are likely to be capable of navigating a journey (and would suggest we don’t know enough about Neilcoll’s client to make that judgement) but I still think this whole issue has a ways to run.

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

In the decision to which Daphne has provded a link above, the Upper Tribunal Judge accepted the submission made in that case on behalf of the S of S, that -

“overwhelming psycological distress could, depending on its nature, frequency, duration and severity make a person unable to navigate and so to fulfill the terms of the relevant descriptor” (paragraph 7, endorsed at paragraph 38)

As 1964 says, it is a case by case basis, but does raise (even more) interesting issues on how the whole activity works (or doesn’t).

For example, a person who AS A MATTER OF FACT cannot go outside and undertake any journey even if accompanied on the majority of days, becuase of “overwhelming psycological distress”, would meet the criteria at 1(e). On days when s/he can go out, but only if encouraged to do so by another person, does 1(b) apply, but only for a minority of days (because on a factual basis, that is what happens), so 1(e) is the scoring descriptor under regulation 7(1)(a)? Or would 1(b) also apply on the majority of days because the client can never undertake a journey without prompting, in which case 1(e) applies by virtue of regulation 7(1)(b)?

If that person cannot follow the route without another person because of overwhelming psycological distress, is the approach the factual one, i.e. that it only happens on a minority of days, or a notional one, that he could never follow a route on any day without being accompanied by another person?

If the factual basis applies, what happens where a person with a severe sight impairment, and who needs assistance of the types envisaged in the descriptor, does not actually undertake a journey and so need to follow a route on the majority of days. I think that person would score 1(f) on any assessment or DWP decision, so should it not transfer back to the other situation, where a person similarly does not go out for the majority of days?