Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Correct interpretation of 12 d ‘Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person…’ - ANSWERS PLEASE!

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Hello all.

I was hoping I could get an opinion on an issue that came up regarding planning and following journeys in a recent appeal hearing.  We have until 25/12/15 (?) to request upper tribunal hearing if necesary.

The siutation is this – the client has a complex medical issue which restricts her ability to walk.  She was awarded 10 points for moving around: 1 (or 12) d ‘ Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.’

This was upheld at first tier hearing and she was given more points for various daily activity (standard rate).

The client is extrememly organised and knowledgable about her condition.  She tries her
best to work but is often twarted from making journeys either aided or unaided, by taxi or public transport.  She keep a detailed diary of how often this would occur over a year which I analysed and it came out as showing that when she is accompanied, be it to a familiar or unfamiliar location, she completes most of her journeys (85%), however when she is not accompanied, completes only 35% of them.  It is not particualry becuase of anxiety that she doesnt complete journeys, more physical issues. 

I put this to the tribunal and cited CSPIP/109/2015 (attached) it may not just be mental health that woud prevetn someone from following or undertaking a journey.  In particular – at paragraph 12 Commissioner Agnew said:

‘I consider that ‘cannot follow’ does not have the restricted meaning put forward by the Secretary of State. It is the ‘cannot’ that is the significant word and ‘cannot’ is not qualified by any reason. I consider that it covers the situation where a claimant ‘cannot follow’ the route because they cannot navigate the route, or because they cannot follow it because of some psychological factor, such as anxiety, even if they have the intellectual capacity to follow the route in theory. Even if a claimant can in theory navigate a route, if the claimant cannot in fact go out and follow it without the assistance of another person, dog or other aid, whatever that reason, I consider it brings the claimant within the activity [our emphasis].’

Having got reasons for the decision from the tribunal, the judge has said that the issue is a mental health one citing both RC v SSWP [2015] UKUT 0386 (AAC) and DA v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions [2015] UKUT 0344 (AAC) and becuase the client made clear in the hearing that ‘I dont think anxiety or distress prevents me from going out’ the activity (1d or 12 d) did not apply.

Has any one had any experience of this and got any thoughts?  Is judge right in his interpretation of the law and so no point in UT hearing?
If I were to ask for a UT hearing what sort of things should I raise?

Any thoughts welcome – thanks!
Emma

[ Edited: 11 Dec 2017 at 05:14 pm by EKS_COTTON ]

File Attachments

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Having read your post it’s unclear as to the problems following a route are?

I presume you’re saying planning the route is not a problem but physical assistance is required?

J.Mckendrick
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team - Phoenix & Norcas

Send message

Total Posts: 279

What is or how long is the route/journey to be followed/planned eg from home address and 50 yards to Tescos or what about Plymouth to Carlisle!

Re can stand and then move etc I would have thought anyone with a severe disability affecting their walking would be unable to stand ‘upright’ to a reasonable manner (as the descriptor requires) eg if you need to use crutches then you would place your weight under your shoulders thus not being able to stand upright.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

If you do lodge an appeal relying on the Agnew judgement, be aware that according to the posts at the end of this thread, there is apparently an upcoming case CPIP/313/2015 that should resolve the conflict between the Agnew and Jacobs decisions.

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Send message

John Birks - 18 December 2015 02:23 PM

Having read your post it’s unclear as to the problems following a route are?

I presume you’re saying planning the route is not a problem but physical assistance is required?

Yes I am.

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Send message

Jon (CHDCA) - 19 December 2015 05:37 PM

If you do lodge an appeal relying on the Agnew judgement, be aware that according to the posts at the end of this thread, there is apparently an upcoming case CPIP/313/2015 that should resolve the conflict between the Agnew and Jacobs decisions.

Many thanks Jon.