Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

voluntary placement for JSA claimant

Sue123
forum member

EEA Family Support, Children's Centre Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 135

Hi,
does anyone know if you have to agree to a volunteering placement (not paid job) that is given to you by JCP?
I have a client (60 years old) who’s been getting JSA for about 5 years, the thought of even doing some unpaid work now terrifies the client, I know it’s not good, but the client’s mental health is not great and they refuse to deal with it.
I was wondering if they have to agree to this placement or if they can refuse but I guess JCP would stop their JSA?
thanks

Sumo
forum member

Mental Health Project Officer, ACVO, Aberdeen

Send message

Total Posts: 1

This is not ’ volunteering’ if the person has to do it.

Sue123
forum member

Send message

Sumo - 03 November 2015 11:28 AM

This is not ’ volunteering’ if the person has to do it.

I am not sure what JCP calls it, but it is basically a placement where person works for 4-6 weeks and does not get paid for it, to give the person experience. Is this something that is compulsory that JCP gets clients to do if they have been on JSA for a long time?
thank you

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

In summary, yes- as long as it is reasonable, you can be expected to attend a work placement (and sanctioned if you fail to do so without good reason).

If your client is suffering from depression, it might possibly be easier in the long term if client closed down her JSA claim and claims ESA instead maybe?

Sue123
forum member

Send message

1964 - 03 November 2015 01:22 PM

In summary, yes- as long as it is reasonable, you can be expected to attend a work placement (and sanctioned if you fail to do so without good reason).

If your client is suffering from depression, it might possibly be easier in the long term if client closed down her JSA claim and claims ESA instead maybe?

thank you
that’s all I needed to know