Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Jeremy Corbyn today on welfare

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

From today’s Jeremy Corbyn speech at the TUC conference -

‘The Welfare Reform Bill is anything but welfare reform. It is all about building on the cuts they have already made, making the lives of the most vulnerable and poorest people in our society even worse.  The disability benefits cuts that have been made over the past five years and the availability of the work test have had some disastrous — appalling — consequences where people have even committed suicide and taken their own lives out of a sense of desperation. I simply ask the question: what kind of a society are we living in where we deliberately put regulations through knowing what the effects are going to be on very poor and very vulnerable people who end up committing suicide?  And we say it is all part of a normal process.  No, it is not!

The reduction in the benefit cap has the effect of socially cleansing many parts of our cities. Owen Smith and I had discussions last night about amendments that we are going to put down to the Welfare Reform Bill. As far as I am concerned, the amendments we are putting forward are to remove the whole idea of the benefit cap altogether. We need to raise wages and regulate rents rather than to have a welfare system that do things, of subsidising high rents and low wages.  Surely, we can do things differently and better if we really want to?  We will bring down the welfare bill in Britain by controlling rents and boosting wages, not by impoverishing families and the most vulnerable people. 

I have to leave straightaway after I have concluded my remarks here because I want to be back in Parliament to vote against their attempt to cut the tax credits that act as a lifeline to millions of people.  Barnados say it will take £1,200 per year away from a lone parent of two working full time on the minimum wage.  The Government says there is no alternative to this. John McDonnell, our new Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer, is setting out what the alternatives are….’

https://www.tuc.org.uk/about-tuc/congress/congress-2015/speech-leader-labour-party-jeremy-corbyn-tuc-annual-congress

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

In interview with New Statesman, Jeremy Corbyn confirms that Labour will oppose Welfare Reform and Work Bill completely -

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2015/09/jeremy-corbyn-defies-shadow-cabinet-pledging-scrap-benefit-cap

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

In speech to conference Jeremy Corbyn says Labour will consider extending SMP and SPP to self-employed -

Labour created the welfare state as an expression of a caring society – but all too often that safety net has holes in it, people fall through it, and it is not there for the self-employed.  It must be. That is the function of a universal welfare state.

Consider opening up Statutory Maternity and Paternity Pay to the self-employed so all new born children can get the same level of care from their parents.

I’ve asked Angela Eagle, our Shadow Business Secretary, and Owen Smith, our Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, to look at all the ways we can we support self-employed people and help them to grow their businesses.

Read the full speech