to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA: Evidence of mobility not grounds to supersede care component award

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Somewhere lurking in the back of my mind there is is a UT decision where it was held that evidence of an ability to walk is insufficient to provide grounds to remove a care component.  I have searched high and low in my own archives but can’t find it.

Any suggestions?  Thanks

MMiah
forum member

Benefits Department, Crystal Law Solicitors, Leicester

Send message

Total Posts: 50

Hi Neil

I don’t think you are referring to CDLA/5042/2014. But in this case :

A supercession/fraud case in which a claimant pleaded guilty to fraud in Magistrates Judge Mark held that a Tribunal must consider the care component irrespective of conviction as claimant is on dialysis.  Similar principles. 

neilbateman
forum member

Send message

Thanks, wasn’t quite what I was after, more something about evidence of reduced mobility needs does not equate to evidence of reduced care needs. 

DWP are citing alleged improved ability to walk as evidence that client has no care needs and can prepare a cooked main meal (as if walking is what we do when we cook…but then this is the DWP).

It has to be wrong, otherwise the reverse would apply and we’d all be routinely submitting that because someone gets hr mobility component, they should also get a care component!

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Walking is a bodily function and so would form part of a DLA assessment as normal. Of course, if the claimant has sufficient difficulty with their other bodily functions, s/he may qualify despite their mobility improving.

neilbateman
forum member

Send message

Yes, I know.  Absolutely.  I was just hoping to cite some legal authority which states just that in order to reinforce the obvious.

C Browne
forum member

Macmillan Cancer Support

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Hi Neil,

I have a lot of supersession case law but none on the grounds you seem to be describing.

On a supersession issue, then CDLA/2115/2003 may help. It is not exactly the circumstances you were describing. At Paragraph 11, it does highlight that there must be a change in the circumstances upon which the award was based rather than on a new current assessment (supervision rather than attention needs assessment, in this case). Also, there is Paragraph 13 :” However, there are other cases, such as this, where there is doubt as to the basis of the award, and in such cases it will be necessary to provide sufficient details of the decision awarding benefit to identify the basis on which the award was made in order for there to be a valid supersession”

If your case is about entitlement to lower rate care under the cooking test, I enclose CDLA/1714/2005, which highlights the “thought experiment” process for the cooking test, although it is concentrating on cooking aids.

I hope that this is of help.

Regards

Chris

File Attachments

neilbateman
forum member

Send message

I have found a note of the UTD.  It is CDLA/1075/2011 - para 10: surveillance evidence of mobility and the need for findings of fact about care needs.  Does anyone have a copy?

neilbateman
forum member

Send message

Copy of CDLA/1075/2011 now attached.

File Attachments