to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

IDS and Work Programme statistics question

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

In his latest exposition on ESA reform, IDS makes the following assertion apparently:

“The Work Programme is, I believe, the most successful back to work programme we’ve ever seen.

By March this year:

* over 1 million people – or 70% of all referrals – had spent some time off benefit;
* and over 430,000 people had moved into lasting employment.”

Given the disparity between these two figures, the only obvious conclusion insofar as the first assertion is concerned is that this one million people represent those claimants who have been referred by WP providers for a sanction decision, which once imposed then implies they show up as having spent “some time off benefit”.

Anyone shed any light on this? I’ve had a look at the latest quarterly WP stats and I can’t see anything resembling this one million people, whereas, for example, Table 1.7 of the stats reports clearly shows the genesis of the 430,000 job outcomes (out of a total of 1,727,000 referrals).

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

More “misrepresentation” from IDS. Still, I expect he BELIEVES it’s true!

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

Paul_Treloar_CPAG - 24 August 2015 03:57 PM

In his latest exposition on ESA reform, IDS makes the following assertion apparently:

“The Work Programme is, I believe, the most successful back to work programme we’ve ever seen.

By March this year:

* over 1 million people – or 70% of all referrals – had spent some time off benefit;
* and over 430,000 people had moved into lasting employment.”

Given the disparity between these two figures, the only obvious conclusion insofar as the first assertion is concerned is that this one million people represent those claimants who have been referred by WP providers for a sanction decision, which once imposed then implies they show up as having spent “some time off benefit”.

Anyone shed any light on this? I’ve had a look at the latest quarterly WP stats and I can’t see anything resembling this one million people, whereas, for example, Table 1.7 of the stats reports clearly shows the genesis of the 430,000 job outcomes (out of a total of 1,727,000 referrals).

that was my thinking as well.

other sparkling insights are “ill people more likely to die” and those in social housing more likely to be unemployed.  thats a failure of social housing policy not an indication of the benefit system.

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

He needs to read his own figures

79% of claimants passed the WCA April to June 2014 and 21% failed the assessment
This compared to 64% who failed the assessment in Oct-Dec 2008 and 51% in 2011 when IDS took over .

17% of claimants were placed in the Support Group with Limited Capability for Work elatedf Activity in oct to dec 2009 rising to 65% in Jul to Sep 2014

50% of claimants were placed in the Work Relatedf Activity Group in oct to dec 2009 dropping to 20% in Jul to Sep 2014

Source Employment Suppot Allowance Outcomes for Work Capability Assessments Quarterly Official Statistics 12.03.15.

IDS is clearly gunning for the support group.