Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Claiming PIP when a DLA award is ending - when is invitation to claim PIP sent out?

dereksi
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Contact a Family, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 47

Thus far most of the people we have advised re PIP are young people turning 16. Generally these young people are not being asked to claim PIP in advance but are instead invited to claim PIP shortly after their 16th birthday.

I am trying to get a clear picture of what happens where a disabled adult is invited to claim PIP because their fixed term DLA award is ending. Are the DWP inviting adults to claim PIP well in advance of their DLA award running out (as was the practice with DLA renewals) or do they wait until the DLA award is due to end and then temporarily extend DLA payments pending a PIP decision?

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

not seen many adult claims but it seems to be working the same way it did with a dla renewal with the pip form being issued a good few months before the dla runs out.

i think with the children they are extending the dla for a year and doing the renewal that way for some reason.

Barbara Knight
forum member

Leorn Welfare Rights Training Services, Derby

Send message

Total Posts: 78

I understood the reason was due to the way the Law had been written, can’t make a claim pre 16 so no advance claims for those turning 16.
I’ve read somewhere they intend to contact the responsible adults pre the 16th birthday twice,  leading up to the date of the 16th birthday, explaining need to move to PIP and then they leave awards in payment up to the 17th birthday to make sure no gaps in payment, it would make the telly if teenagers with severe disabilities were left with no money!