to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

HMRC frustrations

Tracey D
forum member

Welfare benefits advisor - Peterborough City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 127

Just felt the need to vent my recent frustrations in dealings with HMRC over tax credits as they seem to be so inflexible in their approach.

Firstly, I sent the Mandatory Reconsideration Form WTC/AP to the tax credit office and my client has clearly completed box 6 “about your representative” with my details, ticking and signing to say she consents to me acting for her and to having correspondence sent to me.

However, the response from HMRC, which is not a Mandatory Reconsideration Notice, states “I regret to say that we have no authorisation to allow an intermediary to act on your behalf”; they have ignored the MR request form and stated that the TC689 3rd party authority form I also included for good measure is “now out of date”.

Deep breaths, while I compose a strongly worded complaint to get the MR request dealt with properly ....

It’s no better on the phones, I rang the tax credit intermediaries helpline the 0345 300 3946 number)this morning for a different client (who was with me) and when asked where I was calling from, the officer refused to take my call and said I had to ring back on a local authority priority number instead and then hung up. In 8 years of working at the authority I have never had this happen before. 

When I rang back on the local authority number which he gave me, I was told that no queries could be taken today as the system for the security questions is down .... Shame the first officer hadnt thought to mention that.

Why do they make it so hard to get information for our clients?!

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

Simple answer. HMRC believe that they are above the law and accountable to no-one. Obstruction, obfuscation and downright awkwardness are IMHO their way of disguising their incompetence and judgementalism. Experience shows that even when required by Tribunals etc to justify their actions they will delay, procrastinate and wriggle as long as possible. I suspect the intention is to wear down claimants, representatives and even Judges by a long-drawn-out process of attrition in the absence of any legal basis for their actions.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I agree with every word. They’re easily the most frustrating agency we have to deal with (though the Pension Service sadly runs them a close second).  I bet IDS adores them though.