to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Esa migration and IS

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Someone wrote in a posting recently that they had lost the plot.  I’m feeling the same way.  My head is rolling around all the changes with the welfare to work linking rules and I can’t be sure any longer. 

My client was claiming IS because he gets ssp (and high rates dla).  The dwp have stopped his claim now because his ssp has ended.  I’m sure they’re wrong but my poor old head can’t sort out why. 

Also I am really reluctant to put in a claim for cesa although he is now entitled because they are bound to make a fuss and move him onto iresa as well.  It makes a difference because he is part of a couple.  Any thoughts on tactics?  I have thought about moving claimant to wife as she claims CA but they both are very keen for him to remain as the claimant .  The dwp has already made a terrible mess of this claim and only just managed to put it right when they stopped it .  I don’t want to end up making it worse.

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Thank you both.  I don’t think I can persuade them to change claimants.  They are struggling to cope with the illness and it a matter of pride that he is not the dependant one (he is dependant in every other way).  So I want the IS claim to continue and that’s the bit I’m not sure about.  I get as far as the ‘and receiving SSP’  bit para 7(b) of schedule 1B IS regs but he is now no longer receiving it.  I suppose the additional thing that makes me reluctant to start the cesa battle is that he is special rules so NI is irrelevant.