Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA reassessment timing

davidsmith
forum member

Welfare Rights, Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 19

please excuse my ignorance here

but what hard and fast rules govern ESA reassessment?

with PIP and DLA most claimants know where they stand, 2, 5 years, indefinite on old DLA claims

but nowhere have I had experience of ESA claimants being notified of when their next assessment will happen

I understand that the nature of the benefit is probably governed by claimants not knowing and so seeking work at the earliest opportunity

davidsmith
forum member

Welfare Rights, Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 19

“the medical examiner includes in the medical report a suggested date when the work capability assessment should be applied again”

___ have probably just answered my own question ...

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

davidsmith - 03 June 2015 01:10 PM

___ have probably just answered my own question ...

In an ideal world…

However with more than a million claim’s backlogged it’s any one’s guess when a claim will come up for re-assessment. They still seem to be issuing ESA50s at the review date but when that comes to a decision being made is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

ESA and DLA/PIP are different in the sense that DLA/PIP awards are generally for fixed-term periods, whereas ESA doesn’t appear to have the requirement to reclaim when such-and-such a date is reached.

I understand that each award has a review date, but whether these are “hard and fast” I know not. I am, however, concerned that “reviews” happen leading to the same decision being taken but not communicated to the claimant and therefore, s/he doesn’t know that there is an appealable decision, in case s/he disagrees. Of course, the decision may have no legal force if not notified, anyway.

If it’s an appeal case, I gather DWP does go with the tribunal’s recommended review date.