to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

P.I.P appeal and motability car ...

Robin Goodfellow
forum member

Manager Bromley CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 12

We have a client who is appealing a P.I.P decision and they have been informed they are unable to keep their motability car while the appeal is ongoing, is this correct ?

thanks for any thoughts and answers :)

Pete

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

Assuming this is a reassessment from DLA? From the date of decision the DLA should continue for a further four weeks after the next pay day and then the Motability Scheme allow a further 3 weeks. There is a scheme of transitional support if they return the car in time. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be anything beyond that

Lord Sterling’s statement on the transitional support package,which details the information a bit more, is available here - http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/pip-and-motability/lord-sterling-transitional-support-package

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1967

We have had a couple of cases in which Motability have agreed to hold the case for a little longer - usually where the vehicle has been heavily adapted for the claimant’s use. At least one case was successful, both at MR and in getting something like a 3-month extension on the deadline and he kept the vehicle. But it’s case-by-case, I fear.

Robin Goodfellow
forum member

Manager Bromley CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 12

As ever thank you for your replies and have a good evening :)