Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Statement of Reasons include comments by judge to the DWP to review appellant’s DLA award

Lawtcrav
forum member

Halton Disability Advice & Appeals Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 53

Am I correct in thinking that the judge should have put this to the appellant at the hearing? and

Is it a retaliatory remark (spite)  by the judge for asking for the sttaement of reasons and record of proceedings?

I don’t want to rub the UT judge up the wrong way by alleging the above when s/he has my client’s future income in mind.

Your comments would be appreciated!

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

Context? What exactly was said? And what exactly was the FtT decision? And what were you arguing for?

Your post reads as if the judge was inviting the DWP to interfere with your client’s current award - is it the case that only a past, closed period award was before the tribunal so that the tribunal was unable to interfere with current entitlement?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I’ve seen that happen where the Tribunal has been frankly gobsmacked that anything was awarded at all.

Bit mean maybe but not entirely unsurprising from a more conservatively minded Tribunal. Last time a (very senior mind) Judge did that one one of mine I quietly agreed… Their account to me was very differnt to that that came out before the Tribunal.

Lawtcrav
forum member

Halton Disability Advice & Appeals Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 53

The appellant has severe conditions. There was nothing within the hearing to suggest she was not entitled to DLA. It was an ESA appeal covering a period up to June 2013. The statement of reasons does not give any reason for the conclusion that the appellant was no longer entitled DLA!

I have no doubt the appellant is entitled to be in the support. As she is to DLA HRM MRC.