to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Challenging a decision to place client in WRAG

Val
forum member

Welfare Rights Co-ordinator, Aberdeen Welfare Rights, Aberdeen

Send message

Total Posts: 22

My client was found fit for work and we asked for a MR.  The decision was not changed so we appealed and lo and behold JCP decided to place her in the WRAG.  I asked for a MR to place her in the Support Group.  She got a phone call saying that she would have to lodge an appeal, not ask for a MR.  Surely this is incorrect.  The Tribunals service have lapsed her original appeal because it was in her favour.  Surely, they will not accept an appeal without an MR on the support group issue?

Val

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

I don’t see any reason why she could not request another revision/reconsideration however as she has been given the MR decision notice she could appeal directly to the Tribunal. I guess the DM is unlikely to change the decision further so probably worth appealing?

The appeal is against the original decision - the subsequent revisions/reconsiderations extend the time limit to lodge the appeal.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

You need to make a fresh appeal once the decision has lapsed; see reg 30(3) SS(Decisions and Appeals) regs. You’ve got a period of one month to make further representations on the appeal lapsing although that could be extended by the FtT.

MNM
forum member

Solicitor, French & Co Solicitors, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 140

Maybe worthwhile trying a supercession if there has been deterioration.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

MNM - 13 August 2014 01:51 PM

Maybe worthwhile trying a supercession if there has been deterioration.

An appeal will likely be quicker; supersession will likely involve another ATOS referral.