Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

spoof bedroom tax story for a friday

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

... or is it?!

‘Tenants pin hopes on bedroom tax speed dating: IDS hopes ‘speed dating’ sessions for tenants affected by welfare reform will undo a housing log jam’

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11001664/Tenants-pin-hopes-on-bedroom-tax-speed-dating.html

ruthch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights officer Tameside Welfare Rights Service Greater Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 59

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

See here for another strategic legal argument:

Bedroom Tax - Self Reduction Method

Simply apply in judicious measure to internal wall. Then make a supersession application on grounds of change of circumstances.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Actually, I had a client who did something akin to that (knocked down a couple of adjoining rooms thus creating one large bedroom out of two small ones). The client’s disabled wife used the large room as a bedroom & sitting room (unable to easily access the stairs due to her disability so spent most of her time upstairs). The LA Housing Dept was not impressed when they discovered what the client had done but at least the BT dispute was settled in his favour.

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

You need to know which walls to knock down or you could end up with a far more “open plan” effect than you ever intended….....

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

LOL!

I know. That’s partly why the LA concerned wasn’t particularly chuffed when they discovered what my client had done. Last I heard he had been ordered to replace said walls but I think the issue is still under dispute.