to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Non Dependant deduction

Neil
forum member

Debt & Benefits, Aster Communities

Send message

Total Posts: 96

I would appreciate a little confirmation on the following. Clients Mum moved in with her in HA property,Mum is 66 yrs old and receives State Pension and Guaranteed Pension Credits. I told them to inform the Council as it affects HB, and a basic NDD will apply. Council now tell me this is not correct, because Mum on GPC no NDD applies. I have read through latest CPAG and Advice guide on the net, and find this is not what they say, my HB Reg3 may be out of date. Have I missed something? or are the Council wrong ?

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

They are right - no strings.

HB REg 74(10) is where you’ll find it.

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

I think the Council is correct. See CPAG p188 last bullet point. (That’s HB Reg 74(10)).

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

Look at page 118 of CPAG WBH 2014-15, which contains list of circumstances when no non-dependent deduction is made. Last bullet point covers where the non-dep is on Pension Credit.

If you’re looking in the regulations, this is covered in reg.74(10) of the HB Regs 2006, which states that “No deduction shall be made in respect of a non-dependent who is on state pension credit”.

Neil
forum member

Debt & Benefits, Aster Communities

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Thank you folks, clearly losing me marbles. I simply didn’t see the .On PC, couldn’t see the wood for the tree’s.
Thanks again.