to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Suarez, sharks and the odds of getting a PIP decision

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

So the New Statesman reckons that the odds of being bitten by Luis Suarez are better than the odds of being bitten by a shark http://www.newstatesman.com/future-proof/2014/06/you-are-more-likely-be-bitten-luiz-suarez-1-2000-shark-1-3700000

With Welfare Reforms really starting to bite and a sizeable chunk being taken out of people’s incomes, this begs another question. Are the odds of getting a PIP decision within 6 months greater or less than being bitten by Luis Suarez or indeed a shark?

Something for you to chew on this grey Friday.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

And what are the odds of (eventually) getting a positive PIP decision on the basis of having been bitten by either Louis Suarez or a shark?

Leese
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker Manchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 16

The odds of getting an assessment, up here where I am, within 6 months are non existent. So Suarez is much more likely to bite.

A positive decision?  Now you’re pushing it!!

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

I wonder what odds one can get on Suarez bitting IDS before anyone getting a PIP decision? Would the outcome be more positive?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Quick calculation shows that Suarez bites someone every 9.19 days that he is on a football pitch. Almost certainly therefore, you are more likely to get bitten by Suarez than get a PIP DS1500 decision made.

I think that an e gov petition should be started calling on IDS to be bitten by luis suarez for every day he continues to refuse to live on £53 p/w.

Would it be arguable that under PIP activity 2, Taking Nutrition, Suarez “cannot convey food and drink to (his) mouth and needs another person to do so” thereby scoring 10 points?  I have looked at the ADM but cannot see any reference to cannibalism or vampires.

He may also score 8 points under Activity 9: cannot engage with other people due to such engagement causing the claimant to exhibit behaviour which would result in a substantial risk of harm.

I am struggling to find an argument for the mobility component.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Billy Durrant - 27 June 2014 04:25 PM

Quick calculation shows that Suarez bites someone every 9.19 days that he is on a football pitch. Almost certainly therefore, you are more likely to get bitten by Suarez than get a PIP DS1500 decision made.

I think that an e gov petition should be started calling on IDS to be bitten by luis suarez for every day he continues to refuse to live on £53 p/w.

Would it be arguable that under PIP activity 2, Taking Nutrition, Suarez “cannot convey food and drink to (his) mouth and needs another person to do so” thereby scoring 10 points?  I have looked at the ADM but cannot see any reference to cannibalism or vampires.

He may also score 8 points under Activity 9: cannot engage with other people due to such engagement causing the claimant to exhibit behaviour which would result in a substantial risk of harm.

I am struggling to find an argument for the mobility component.

Surely vampires would get 12 points for 1(f) , (cannot stand or move more than 1 metre) as they cannot do so regularly and reliably unless it is night time. Simple!

djd
forum member

Ipswich & District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 11

In Suffolk it’s quicker to have a baby than get a PIPs assessment let alone to get a decision.

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

djd - 30 June 2014 11:34 AM

In Suffolk it’s quicker to have a baby than get a PIPs assessment let alone to get a decision.

‘The Brides of Suarez’?

On another football related note, those feeling downhearted by England’s dismal showing in Brazil should take comfort from the fact that for years we’ve been wanting them to play like Spain - and now they are.