< 1 2

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Phil Cole - 09 June 2014 04:38 PM

, in particular, the potential availability of anti gravity technology

Really? It’s not 1st April again already is it?

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

nevip - 06 June 2014 02:36 PM
Billy Durrant - 06 June 2014 01:53 PM
nevip - 06 June 2014 01:08 PM

It’s in reg 5086(3)(xxxiv) of the Employment and Support Allowance (Totally Unnecessary and Unfeasibly Long Winded) Amendment Regulations 2014.

“Appliance” – means any aid that the Secretary of State considers that the claimant can use, whether or not that appliance exists in the real world or simply in the world of his farfetched imagination and includes pogo sticks, stilts, wings, teleporters, flying carpets and similar contraptions.

With respect Nevip, I beg to differ. I’m surprised that an adviser of your knowledge and experience has overlooked that Davros would clearly not have Habitual Residence or R2R, so instead would fall within the new Imaginary Benefit Tourism and Ramped Up Xenophobia before the Elections (Part 94) Regulations, requiring him to only be allowed to do specified kinds of work. This is primarily being a cheap duck house builder (no need for a boat) and certainly would not allow him to sell the Big issue, or any other such reprehensible activity that is clearly contrived to take advantage of the UK’s galactically generous benefits system.

Billy

I stand corrected.  Well played sir!

Can you imagine Davros going to a jobseeking interview;

JC + adviser;-  ‘Good morning Mr Davros, what sort of work would you be looking for and what steps are you going to take to get that type of work?”

Davros;- ” I want to be supreme leader of the entire universe”

JC+;_ ” You must realise that if you don’t take a certain number of appropriate steps to find this work we will sanction you”

Davros; - “OK, on Monday I will lay waste to Cardiff. On Tuesday I will decimate the population of Reading. On Thursday and Friday I will burn Blackburn, Lancashire and pop into Leeds to attack a few people with a death ray.”

JC+ ;- “What about Wednesday, the Secretary of State insists that you make a consistent effort to find work”

Davros;- “I can’t do Wednesday, I have to go in to have my electric wheelchair serviced”

JC+ ;- “Well as its a medical appointment we can allow you to miss out on Wednesday, but please make sure you take appropriate steps for all five days next week or we will consider a sanction”

Inverclyde HSCP Advice Services
forum member

Inverclyde Council

Send message

Total Posts: 142

Sorry Billy,

I hadn’t realised the slight typo in my earlier posting. The extract should read

CE/327/2013 and CE/509/2013
WCA activity 1: mobilising unaided – Relevance of personal circumstances other than disability in considering the ability to mobilise using a wheelchair and, in particular, the potential availability of a wheelchair

You’ll see it referenced here:http://www.osscsc.gov.uk/Decisions/forthcoming3JPs.htm

And one of the things that will be considered is the old bug-bear of pre 1980s Dr Who Daleks; the question of stairs and how a claimant is supposed to get up them with their wheelchair; which might just as well be anti-gravity!

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Pete C - 10 June 2014 12:54 PM
nevip - 06 June 2014 02:36 PM
Billy Durrant - 06 June 2014 01:53 PM
nevip - 06 June 2014 01:08 PM

It’s in reg 5086(3)(xxxiv) of the Employment and Support Allowance (Totally Unnecessary and Unfeasibly Long Winded) Amendment Regulations 2014.

“Appliance” – means any aid that the Secretary of State considers that the claimant can use, whether or not that appliance exists in the real world or simply in the world of his farfetched imagination and includes pogo sticks, stilts, wings, teleporters, flying carpets and similar contraptions.

With respect Nevip, I beg to differ. I’m surprised that an adviser of your knowledge and experience has overlooked that Davros would clearly not have Habitual Residence or R2R, so instead would fall within the new Imaginary Benefit Tourism and Ramped Up Xenophobia before the Elections (Part 94) Regulations, requiring him to only be allowed to do specified kinds of work. This is primarily being a cheap duck house builder (no need for a boat) and certainly would not allow him to sell the Big issue, or any other such reprehensible activity that is clearly contrived to take advantage of the UK’s galactically generous benefits system.

Billy

I stand corrected.  Well played sir!

Can you imagine Davros going to a jobseeking interview;

JC + adviser;-  ‘Good morning Mr Davros, what sort of work would you be looking for and what steps are you going to take to get that type of work?”

Davros;- ” I want to be supreme leader of the entire universe”

JC+;_ ” You must realise that if you don’t take a certain number of appropriate steps to find this work we will sanction you”

Davros; - “OK, on Monday I will lay waste to Cardiff. On Tuesday I will decimate the population of Reading. On Thursday and Friday I will burn Blackburn, Lancashire and pop into Leeds to attack a few people with a death ray.”

JC+ ;- “What about Wednesday, the Secretary of State insists that you make a consistent effort to find work”

Davros;- “I can’t do Wednesday, I have to go in to have my electric wheelchair serviced”

JC+ ;- “Well as its a medical appointment we can allow you to miss out on Wednesday, but please make sure you take appropriate steps for all five days next week or we will consider a sanction”

Very good.

Neil
forum member

Debt & Benefits, Aster Communities

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Atos would be a great name for a new Dr Who adversary,

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

No need, has anyone ever noticed the uncanny resemblance between IDS and the Sontarans - are they related?  I think we should be told.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Medical Professional Who and the MARDIS - Mandatory Reconsiderations Diminishing In Support