to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA Late Appeal or Late MR?

flair
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Linstone Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 53

My Client has failed to engage at all with JC+, ATOS, Compliance for almost full year.
Was transferred in July from IB to ESA(WRAG) despite prior to this not returning ESA 50, or attending ATOS medicals (possibly got ESA113?).
Following this she failed to attend WFIs or give reasons for this, so was sanctioned indefinitely and paid Component only from October last year. She was then asked to attend Compliance interview in Feb this year (obviously due to the fact someone can’t live on £28 per week and must be at it!). As she failed to attend this or contact them, her claim was closed in March and she has had nothing since.
She has only now engaged with us as her HB has been suspended due to ESA ending.

My question is really what is best course of action - I think she should have been in Support Group on transfer, so should I be going straight for late Appeal against July ‘13 decision, or a late MR against March decision to close claim? (or both?)
Should I also be looking at a new claim given the time delays, in order to get benefit up and running asap???

At this stage I’m not sure how much support we will get from her own GP. I have written to them to enquire.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated re best course of action.
Thanks

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

You need to challenge the sanction. You’d need to establish good cause for failure to participate; what are client’s health problems (or can I guess…)?

A new claim is needed but prepare for it to be awarded at the sanctioned rate, i.e 10p a week. If the new claim is awarded could you get someone to take her to a WFI? Maybe persuade them to do it over the phone and have either yourself or a support worker present to support? That’s quite common round these parts.

I’d cover all bases; appeal for the Support Group, check the date the sanction decision was notified to see whether it’s MR or appeal lodged with the decision maker then challenge that.

As regards the sanction decision, have a shuftie at DMG 2/14 for guidance. 

Finally, if it’s your client’s health problems that are at the root of her failure to engage then there may be a cause of action under the Equality Act and I’ve found a 1st letter before action to be a very effective lubricant to getting situations like this sorted out. A call to Civil Legal Advice on 0845 345 4 345 might be a plan or alternatively I know a very nice man…

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/5617/#23454

[ Edited: 4 Jun 2014 at 02:38 pm by Dan_Manville ]

File Attachments

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Tony Bowman - 04 June 2014 02:29 PM

Just initial thoughts….

3. New claim. This is a bit more tricky because of the six month rule. I don’t think it’s likely to apply because the claim was probably closed due to a failed info requirement, but that won’t of course stop the JC trying it on. They may have made the decision on other terms, so you should probably confirm that first. Also check if a new claim would link to the old one (12 weeks linking rule).

Does the 6 month rule apply for reg 18 D&A termination? This was a failed compliance inquiry rather than WCA/failure to return ESA50

flair
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Linstone Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 53

Thanks for the replies Tony and Dan.
I will be taking your advice and covering all bases.
She does have as you suspect Mental Health Issues which are at the root of her non-engagement, unfortunately.

Thanks again, Greg