to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP & Kidney dialysis

Gail Knight
forum member

Welfare rights - Halton Council

Send message

Total Posts: 104

I have a client who has applied for PIP and only been awarded 4 points for therapy and she is on dialysis.

There does not seem to be any regs that will as per DLA have someone show automatic qualification of over 14 hours per week for dialysis.

Any one know of anything to the contary or anyone know if this is being looked into.

I have requested a MR as this client originally was undergoing 1 hour dialysis four times a day and has now transferred ot overnight which still requires more than 14 hours a week assistance from another person

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 434

If you need supervision, prompting or assistance to manage therapy that takes more than 14 hours a week you get 8 points and will be entitled to at least Standard Rate Daily Living.

So it is not the dialysis in itself that is important but whether your client needs help with that therapy. Given that they have awarded points it seems that they have accepted this and so I guess you just need to request a MR with the correct numbers of hours. DCS may have misunderstood 1 hour four times a day to mean 1 hour spread across 4 separate 15 minute sessions - this would give 7 hours a week which would give 4 points.

One thing I am unsure of - if somebody has a 2.5 hour session of dialysis everyday, needs 5 minutes assistance each time at the beginning and end of the procedure but can otherwise be left alone and does not require further monitoring or assistance - what is the relevant time for working out how many points they get?

Also note the dialysis needs to be at home.

Gail Knight
forum member

Welfare rights - Halton Council

Send message

Total Posts: 104

Thanks yes the dialysis is at home

worth noting the app for PIP was June 2013 when dialyisis was four hours each day for 1 hour at a time, The PIP medical was carried out february 2014 when dialyisis had swopped to overnight in the decision makers reasons no mention at all of the period prior to the medical.  I have also raised these points in the mR request.

The decision was made April 24th lets see how long the MR decison takes.