Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

New application within 6 months of refusal.

Angela Dyer
forum member

Debt and Welfare Rights Adviser, Freshwinds Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 1

I would welcome any thoughts on a potential strategy to help one of my clients.
She applied for ESA and was turned down in June 2013, she did not appeal. She reapplied in October 2013. She is still waiting for a decision to be made. This is a pretty standard waiting time for all my clients at the moment.

The problem is as she reapplied with 6 months of the decision, with no new or worsening health condition she is not receiving the assessment phase rate payment. We have explored whether there is any medical evidence relevant. Nothing. Client does not feel able to claim JSA as she rarely leaves the house.

I have spoken to Atos, DWP and they appear to be no nearer to making a decision. “We are not working to a time scale!” Was Atos stock response!!

With this in mind and 6 months since the October application almost upon us, I am pondering whether they would be Better to just cancel this claim and reapply. They would have lost 6 months but would at least get some money.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Bryan R
forum member

Folkestone Welfare Union

Send message

Total Posts: 233

Have a look at the following?

para 8.7 of R(IB)8/04

Put another way, is the date that Your cl sought to make the claim from – Date – treated as the sole determinative date for the purpose of Reg 30?

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

The six months start ticking from the June 2013 so she would have have been entitled to be paid from December. I can’t see, on the face of it, see why you shouldn’t be able to argue that the October claim should be paid from that date, without the claim being withdrawn whether or not ATOS/DWP have reached a decision on the period of the new claim which falls prior to the end of the 6 monts…. But I’m willing to shot down in flames.

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

I.e. What Bryan said only much less eruditley put!

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

I initially made that point about R(IB) 8/04 in an old thread, but I was quite correctly put right: the regulations have now been changed to legislate out the effect of it. The ESA regulations are different so that it is now the date of the claim that counts for the 6 month rule.

However, I can’t see why a new claim can’t be made without withdrawing the first one. Page 1582 of CPAG suggests making multiple new claims over a period of time if habitual residence is in issue, so I can’t see why the same can’t be done for ESA by analogy.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I’ve seen this a few times and if you make a new claim they’ll put it into payment and abandon the old one.

I’ve never needed to chase the old claims though as in both instances I’ve seen to the end there were issues arising from the Equality Act and DWP paid the claims out, from the date of cessation, within a day or two of receiving the letters before action…

Angela Dyer
forum member

Debt and Welfare Rights Adviser, Freshwinds Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 1

I would be interested to know what you argued regarding the Equalities Act, or was that related to a different issue?

I cannot understand why they don’t just say, you have applied too early wait untill the 6 months is up and come back.  this client would be alot better off if they had just said that.

Bryan R
forum member

Folkestone Welfare Union

Send message

Total Posts: 233

When was the date of claim? Prior to April 13?

Yes how does the equality impinge itself upon ESA Regs. I thought it could not override this sort of legislation, might you explain Dan.