to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA benefit breakdown letters

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

This is an odd query which applies to income-related breakdown letters, such as ESA(IR) - the sort you get for annual uprating or after a new decision.  Does anyone know the relationship between what is printed on the letter and what goes into the bank? 

Have been told by DWP that clt has received a premium for at least a year, but his breakdown shows otherwise.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Those notices are so unreliable I’d check a bank statement to see how much has been paid.

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

Had come to that conclusion too….!

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Only today I was talking to a man who showed me that his claim for Income-Related ESA for him and his wife had been processed from January this year.  The front of the letter sort of made this clear, but unfortunately the only calculation provided was the breakdown at the back for his single contribution-based claim from July to November 2012.  Still, it’s the thought that counts.

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

That’ll be the winner in the UC poll then - 2025.  Someone has a plan…..possibly….if the wind is right…...

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

I think the plan might be lost somewhere in Wolverhampton.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Yesterday I saw what appeared to be a proof of benefit letter dated 2014 but going back to 2012, with rates the claimant was in WRAG and latterly in SG, but the attached breakdown related to the WRAG award using old rates. Fairly confusing for me and the claimant.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

i checked 4 claims recently where claimants had been migrated from income support to esa.  all had sda before migration but no conts based benefit was showing on their award letters (all in the support group).

when I called to query this I was being told that as the income related esa amount was higher they just pay it all income related.

that’s a new one on me.  it was nice of the DWP to explain to me how an applicable amount works though.

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

OK, so let’s get this right: the letters that explain what a claimant gets are as unreliable as Jeremy Paxman’s M&S underpants, the Public Accounts Committee is about to say that all the DWP’s programmes are on the ‘verge of meltdown’ (PIP, UC, etc.), the entire ESA system is a convoluted joke and the Work Programme doesn’t work.

And nobody gets fired?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Stevegale - 15 March 2014 10:11 AM

OK, so let’s get this right: the letters that explain what a claimant gets are as unreliable as Jeremy Paxman’s M&S underpants, the Public Accounts Committee is about to say that all the DWP’s programmes are on the ‘verge of meltdown’ (PIP, UC, etc.), the entire ESA system is a convoluted joke and the Work Programme doesn’t work.

And nobody gets fired?

Don’t forget Universal Jobmatch is in the bin now too.

How are they going to keep all those new claimants on the CC busy 35 hours a week I wonder. I can see Angry Birds becoming a Jobseekers Direction.