Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Help with submission (DLA mental health/supervision)

Jen
forum member

Help to claim adviser - Citizens Advice Exeter

Send message

Total Posts: 28

Hi,

Trying to write a submission for someone with depression, anxiety and paranoid thinking. The DWP got evidence from GP (who confirmed above, but not much more) and from medical services. Nurse from medical services writes that if he needed watching over (i.e. continual supervision) day and night then he would be in hospital under section. It seems that the DWP have used this as a reason not to award MRC (currently gets LRC,LRM) as they have written in decision that he is ‘not at risk of neglect or self-harm’.

In actual fact client is in high support accomodation and also gets lots of ‘informal’ support from friends. Without which danger of neglect, self-harm, attempting suicide (all of which have happened in the past). Supporting letters from workers in accomodation to this effect.

I found decision R(A)2/91 which says wrong to assume doesn’t need continual supervision just because not in hospital. Does anyone know if there are any more recent decisions I can look at, or if in fact this decision has been superseeded (concious it is quite old!)...?

Peter Patton
forum member

Chatsworth Care, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 18

MWv Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (CSA)
[2013] UKUT 0158 (AAC

Try the above where it was concluded that the EMP evidence was incorrectly weighted at the 1st Tier appeal. It may help your case.

good luck
Peter

File Attachments

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

I find in these type of cases that support from someone who helps your client on a day to day basis - so someone from the high support accomodation that you mention - far outweighs anything else.

Did the HCP actually see the client or merely offer an opinion based on the papers? Does the HCP have any type of mental health qualification? If they did not see the client then they are offering an opinion based on paperwork which is merely an opinion…if they do not have a mental health qualification it may be worth quoting the ESA decision CE/3883/2012 which addresses this point.

Geri-G
forum member

Welfare reform team - North Ayrshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 91

I always check the NMC register. If the Nurse is an adult nurse and not an RMN, I use that in my submission.

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

‘Nurse from medical services writes that if he needed watching over (i.e. continual supervision) day and night then he would be in hospital under section.’

This seems a circular argument. Can’t receive an award for supervision because he is not in hospital due to being sectioned and then presunably could have an award if he is in hospital that then can’t be paid becauise he is in a hospital.

Focus on key phrases like ‘Substantial Danger’ and the effect of any event if supervision is not provided. Check the foot notes to the relevant regulation for caselaw in the Sweet and Maxwell volumes. Also identify what help your client receives from who and when.

[ Edited: 3 Feb 2014 at 11:02 am by ikbikb ]
Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

The mental health act requires that a person “warrants detention…  in the interests of his own health or safety or with a view to the protection of other persons.”

This is a substantially different test than “continual supervision…”. The MHA considers a risk requiring continous supervision (analogous to the warrant of detention) which as we all know is not continual

S73 has borrowed the terms of the MHA in defining “Severe Mental Impairment” with regard the mobility component and had it been the intention of parliament to impose the same level of risk on the supervision requirements at S72 then they would have done so.

Jen
forum member

Help to claim adviser - Citizens Advice Exeter

Send message

Total Posts: 28

Thanks to you all.

Used a lot of these points in my submission (along with statements from supported accomodation and client) and appeal successful (MRC awarded). In fact when we arrived the panel had no further questions!