to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP Application

andrewp16
forum member

PATH Ability - Advocacy

Send message

Total Posts: 4

My client has chronic cvs/me and made a PIP2 application late Nov 13. There is no way my client can attend an assessment centre as confined to first floor of home for last 6 months. To date were know that DWP have received the application but they have not even acknowledged receipt. Any ideas when we will hear from them or what to do to get a response?

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

The expression involving a piece of string springs to mind.

Seriously, I referred two clients to their MP only last week over PIP assessment delays (and both clients applied for PIP last summer) so I wouldn’t hold your breath that anything will happen any time soon.

TJL
forum member

Derby advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 251

Try involving your   local MP- the   initial admin arrangements did seem to be a bit chaotic in Derby- also exlain why soemone cannot get   out n about

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

“Seriously, I referred two clients to their MP only last week over PIP assessment delay”

“Try involving your   local MP”

Welcome to the club! Hope you’ve checked out these threads and voted.

PIP Poll 1: Average time from PIP2 to assessment
http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/5956/

PIP Poll 2 - Average time from PIP assessment to decision
http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/5958/

Also checkout this excellent article from Richard Kramer http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/disabled-people-left-limbo-while-vital-benefit-decisions-drag

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I have indeed voted, Mick.

The financial hardship resulting from the delays is very real and totally unacceptable. I have a client for example who, following a stroke, is now dependent upon his partner for everything (she has had to give up work to care for him). They are currently missing out on £288.37 per week by my calculation (combination of PIP, CA, removal of NDD’s resulting in HB/CTR entitlement, etc) not to mention road tax exemption. In addition, they’re having difficulty in obtaining various adaptations including a disabled parking bay due to the lack of a PIP award. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parliamentary_constituencies_in_Northumberland

Well done for voting and highlighting the total disaster that is PIP assessments/decision making.

If we can gather some evidence from the vote we’ll be looking to present it to the MPs who represent Northumberland. You’ll see from the link that this will cover the main parties so bias about approaching just one party etc should not be raised.

What gets me is why the article in the New Statesman is not among the headlines (apologies to those affected by the flooding) in the mainstream tabloids?

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

Our first parliamentary ombudsman complaint just in process….for a claim made in April 2013….had assessment…papers lost…had another assessment Dec 2013 and still no decision.
Disgraceful.

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

Nicky - 14 February 2014 12:34 PM

Our first parliamentary ombudsman complaint just in process….for a claim made in April 2013….had assessment…papers lost…had another assessment Dec 2013 and still no decision.
Disgraceful.

How did you get this to the ombudsman? Did you have to exhaust all the internal complaints processes first and then go through the ICE? Had a similar situation here, claim made in May, assessment in September, multiple phone calls from claimant’s wife and me, MP involved. Eventual admission report lost - paper copy shredded after it was scanned in but no record of the scanned copy ever being received by PIP. Second assessment late Jan (after Atos cancelled the first appointment for this assessment at 4pm the previous day), report received on 10 Feb.

However, I had a phone call from a Complaints Resolution Manager at PIP the same day (10 Feb) to say she had put the report in front of a DM and asked for an urgent decision - decision was made that day, enhanced rates of both components. Client’s wife rang today, award letter received - no end date, will contact him again in 2024 to “check he is getting the correct rates”.

Not sure if it was the MP’s intervention but something worked, it just took 10 months.

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

Exhuasted absolutely every other avenue….MP signing form today.

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

Good luck