Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

If your Valentine’s Day romance leads to something ... 

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

“If you’re a single person claiming benefits and your Valentine’s Day romance leads to something more serious, make sure you inform the Department for Work and Pensions of any change in circumstances, or you could find yourself being investigated for benefit fraud,” runs a new warning message, issued via the DWP press office.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andy-mcsmiths-diary-love-costs—ids-imposes-a-new—bedroom-tax-for-st-valentines-day-9124524.html

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

“If you’re a single person claiming benefits and your Valentine’s Day romance leads to something more serious….”

What, like a massacre?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

meanwhile, over at HMRC -

HMRC is reminding anyone claiming tax credits who has a partner moving in with them to say those three little words this Valentine’s Day…”Tell the Taxman”

(Taxman??!!)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-issues-valentines-day-tax-credits-reminder

nevip
forum member

Send message

At least the language HMRC used appears to be rather conciliatory as opposed to this aggressive broadside from the DWP that is the final sentence tagged on to the end of a paragraph to which it doesn’t belong.

“Even if someone has genuinely forgotten to tell us about their partner living with them the amount of benefits wrongly overpaid can amass to many thousands of pounds very quickly – and that’s money they’ll have to pay back. Those who think they can steal from the taxpayer better think again.”

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Nice to know romance is alive and kicking at the DWP and HMRC.

nevip
forum member

Send message

It’ll all end in tears, believe me.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Shame neither DWP or HMRC actually understand the statutory provisions and case law on ‘living together’ - how is a claimant who becomes romantically entangled to know when they actually need to disclose their liasion?

I have a TC undisclosed partner appeal on my desk where the case made by HMRC is so unbelievably **** that it would kill you laughing - unfortunately being left without TC income for months rather made my client weep (but then floods are all the rage).

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I had a TC one recently where the alleged cohabiting partner was client’s landlord and very demonstratably married to someone else. Not that this prevented TCO from taking over 10 months to settle the appeal in her favour.