to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

IDS suggests abolishing ESA for those in the WRAG

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/23/iain-duncan-smith-wrag-benefit-cuts

In a move that highlights what a continuing source of inspiration he is, Duncan Smith suggests abolishing ESA entirely for those in the WRAG. Clearly this is arrant nonsense, but I’m intrigued about how to read it.

Is IDS losing the plot as he gets increasingly frustrated about his reforms not working?

Or is it a more deliberate game of good cop/bad cop with Esther McVey, which would suggest they’re about to announce some other new change and we’re being softened up for it. From the increasingly misleading, but virtually unchallenged way they’ve started pushing the WRAG as a group for short term illnesses, my fear would be a new time limit on income-related ESA in that group.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1968

Yes, he’s kite-flying with intent. Prepare for more planted media stories of how everyone is fit for work and there are thousands of skivers with laughable claims of illness. 

He and the plot parted company long ago.

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

The problem is that IDS has discovered what most, and he, knew already. Those that pass the WCA and are put in the WRAG have severe limitation for work related activity. Then the work provider paid on a result only basis are finding it hard to find sustainable work for these claimants and don’t want to get involved in unpaid work. IDS answer could be to allow increased reasonable conditionality in a vague JSA regulation. It already occurs with other groups. It could solve him a lot of problems and cause even more for disabled and ill claimants. It could also draw attention away from his UC debacle. This is not kite flying.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1968

NB: ‘Kite-flying with intent’: the tactic of distract-and-confuse - and make matters worse. I think we are in fact in agreement.

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 473

I had a meeting with one of our local Work Programme providers last week. ESA WRAG claimants form only 10% of their caseload, which is about 250-300 actual people. From those, their target is to get 16.5% into employment. Which they are nearly meeting. Jobcentre Plus therefore expects to get more than 80% of ESA claimants mandated to the Work Programme back after 2 years. I read recently (think it was in the context of the pilots for ESA claimants announced on 4 November) that ESA WRAG claimants on the “Jobcentre Plus offer” have an average of 88 minutes contact with an adviser per year.

Clearly it is the claimants’ fault they are not getting into work then.. And that is without even considering the state of the job market locally and the reluctance of employers to take on workers with a history of poor health or disability.

Ben E Fitz
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker, Manchester CAB Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 162

The article seems to imply that the reasoning behind this is all about reducing costs and that not one jot of consideration has been given to the impact on claimants.

Just what we expect from IDS, he doesn’t consider the impact because he doesn’t give a damn how much suffering he causes with his incompetence. I’m beginning to suspect that he actually enjoys it. he finally found something he is good at:- destroying lives.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

The article follows a pattern of psycopathy, narcissism and sociopathy.

He is “Proud” of his reforms, as its changing lives (11,000 deaths so far and counting)

His benefit cap has turned around the lives of 8000 families (it hasnt, he cant prove it anyway)

When challenged he simply blurts out that he doesnt care about the stats, he simply BELIEVES he is right.

This man is dangerous and completely unsuited for his role of ensuring the poor, ill and vulnerable are protected.

He is being taken to account on 9th of December for his misrepresentation of statistics, but I dont expect him to turn up for it. Ho Hum

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

benefitsadviser - 28 November 2013 02:20 PM

This man is dangerous and completely unsuited for his role of ensuring the poor, ill and vulnerable are protected.

His role is to impose what cuts the treasury mandates him to make; he’s ideal for the job. It was easy to hate him before this anyhoo.

It’s crystallised why he’s still in position for me now; he’s at the end of his career so needn’t worry about popularity and he doesn’t care if Steve Bell paints him as Nosferatu.

It’s Nosferatu that they need in that position and Nosferatu is what they’ve got. Perfick!

edit… just in case anyone missed it… Steve Bell’s recent portrayal 

[ Edited: 28 Nov 2013 at 02:59 pm by Dan_Manville ]