Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

New claim for ESA(WC) after transferring from IB

Allan Ramsay
forum member

Income maximisation - City of Edinburgh Council

Send message

Total Posts: 81

Hi,

My client’s ESA(WC) ceased due to reaching the end of the 365 day period.

As she was previously transferred from IB to ESA(WC) it is my understanding that she can claim ESA(WC) again. This is because her previous claim was not based on specific NI contributions due to being migrated from IB.

If I am right, does anyone have the regulation that permits this?  I completed an ESA3 but the DWP have treated this as an assessment for ESA(IR) and my client fails to qualify.  I now have to request a revision and could do with including the reg (if it exists).

Cheers

Allan

Allan Ramsay
forum member

Send message

Thanks Tony.

I’m basing my theory on a course I attended when the 365 day rule first came out.  I can’t remember who ran it but it wasn’t free!  The tutor provided a Q & A sheet on the the 365 day ruling.  I have copied the Q & A below:

————————————————————————————————————————————————
Q6.  If you lose your contributory ESA, can you get in again if you then satisfy the NI contributions conditions, i.e. even if you are not in the support group?

A: Yes.  Satisfying the NI conditions again is a separate way of requalifying from being put in the support group.  But remember that, except in cases where the claimant was transferred to ESA from incapacity benefit, at least one of the relevant tax years that applies to the new claim must be different from (later than) those that applied to the expired claim.  Where the claimant was transferred from incapacity benefit, no contribution years were involved, so they now simply have to satisfy the NI conditions on the new claim.

Where one of your tax years needs to be different, remember that under the linking rules, if you are still within a linked period of limited capability for work, the relevant tax years remain the same that applied to the original award.  However, the only linking rule that applies now is the 12 week linking rule, as the 104 week linking rule has been abolished.  So you would need to break your period of limited capability for work by more than 12 weeks, and then satisfy the NI contribution conditions afresh.
—————————————————————————————————————————————————

Unfortunately, there are no references to regulations.  I may be interpreting this wrongly but it seems to imply ESA claimants transferred from IB can reclaim if meeting the NI conditions?

Many thanks

Allan

Allan Ramsay
forum member

Send message

Thanks again, much appreciated.

I will do a bit more digging

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Allan, Check out memo DMG 13/12 (sorry I’m no good with links!)
It looks as though your client needs to satisfy the SG criteria possibly via deterioration as I don’t believe they will qualify under the NI route for different tax years.
Good luck

jimmckenny
forum member

Benefits Advice Service, Kirklees Council

Send message

Total Posts: 28

Copy of DMG 13/12.

File Attachments

Allan Ramsay
forum member

Send message

Thanks to everyone for their help.

It seemed a bit too good to be true!  SG it is then…

Cheers

Allan