to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

govt admits to lack of clarity re esa statistics

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3794

“Work and Pensions Select Committee member Sheila Gilmore MP has revealed that the number of sick and disabled people wrongly declared ‘Fit for Work’ by a Government benefits test could be far higher than previously thought. This followed a letter from Work and Pensions Minister Esther McVey in which she admitted figures are ‘not clear’ and promised to ‘ensure greater clarity in future’ ...”

http://www.sheilagilmore.co.uk/press-release-government-admits-fiddling-figures-to-hide-failings-of-fit-for-work-test/

Paul_Treloar
forum member

Welfare benefits caseworker, Mary Ward Legal Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 148

Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind, as a certain Mr Orwell once said.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

On the subject of the statements of Ms McVey did anyone else hear Radio 4’s ‘Face the Facts’ last Sunday.

I’m afraid I can’t do a link but I’m sure it’s available on Listen Again. The bit where she says that certain work programme providers are trying to sell their share and get out because the scheme is such a success is priceless, as is the faintly incredulous response of the interviewer.

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 304

I heard that as well Pete. Her response was pathetic

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1968

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

On a recent visit to a well known wildlife park in the consituency of a well known prime minister I observed a row of ostriches with their heads ‘buried in the sand’.

I wish I had taken a picture which could be labelled IDS, McVey, Freud, Webb & Penning -they have all got their heads well and truely buried in the sand to what is really going on at the DWP and the impact of their ‘welfare reforms’ in practice! And they do present their a***s (0r is it fingers?) to the public on a daily basis.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

The link is to the prog I heard - well worth a listen

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1968

McVey ‘doesn’t believe’ that the Work Programme is failing. So that’s alright then, isn’t it?

And as for contractors allocating 100+ people to each adviser (and thus being unable to provide a service of any quality) - well, she doesn’t believe it! Those are industry figures but she has different figures!

The ‘Happy Land’ attitude of the DWP goes on. A happy land filled with ostriches, it would appear!

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Peter Turville - 15 November 2013 01:59 PM

On a recent visit to a well known wildlife park in the consituency of a well known prime minister I observed a row of ostriches with their heads ‘buried in the sand’.

I wish I had taken a picture which could be labelled IDS, McVey, Freud, Webb & Penning -they have all got their heads well and truely buried in the sand to what is really going on at the DWP and the impact of their ‘welfare reforms’ in practice! And they do present their a***s (0r is it fingers?) to the public on a daily basis.

Damn! Where’s Elmer Fudd when you need him!

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Mick Quinn - 15 November 2013 02:28 PM

Damn! Where’s Elmer Fudd when you need him!

Oh, there are plenty of them in Oxfordshire but they were probably all out gasing badgers (I know, a bit controversial even for a Friday afternoon). Although IDS et al or Looney Tunes - can you tell the difference?